Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Futura VS. Brother >

Singer Futura VS. Brother

Singer Futura VS. Brother

Old 09-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

If you buy the Futura, it is a good idea to join the yahoo group.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Many dealers have payment plans and there are typically "specials" on different manufacturers throughout the year. I would buy from a dealer and ask.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 PM

I just purchased a Brother 400 a few months ago on ebay for 299.00 free shiping and I love it also have a singer 150 and would take the Brother any day over the singer.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Many dealers have payment plans and there are typically "specials" on different manufacturers throughout the year. I would buy from a dealer and ask.
I learned my lesson the hard way buying something sight unseen. (I bought a mobility scooter that was billed as "next year's model" the only problem was I got the prototype, that was never put into production!) I would go to a few dealers, and listen to the sales pitch from each, ask if they take payments, have lay-a-way, etc., Then decide which you like. I am a Brother devotee and won't buy any other brand, so I can not be objective. I have never taken one of my brother machines to a shop. I sew a lot of dolls, clothes, tools, fleeces, purses, quilts, and fake fur, so my machine has to be tough. Mine is... :thumbup:
Old 09-14-2010, 06:47 PM

Stefani

I am in the same place you are. I wanted an embroidery machine but can’t afford the cash right now and I don’t want a loan for a sewing machine. I also don’t know if embroidery is my “thing” what if I only use the machine 6 or 8 times a year. Not worth the expense when there are people out there that can do the one or two items I need. I have brother machines and would love to have a brother embroidery machine too. But I don’t want to spend the money to get just the basic machine. So I’ve been doing a lot of research. I’ve been to several shops and test-drove and asked a lot of questions. The only machine I didn’t see was the singer. But that’s the one I bought.

Here’s what I have learned about the Futrua. The price is right. If you find that you want to do more and bigger then you can sell it and upgrade. It includes the software packages. Do you know that every other machine out there the software is extra? Anywhere from $400 to $899 extra. The Futura is a fussy machine. Everything has to be just right. But once you get it just right everyone loves the machine. The biggest issue people seem to have is an error message that says the thread is broke when it’s not and needles breaking. Both, again from my research, seem to be mostly user error. Not threading the machine right or using the right thread/bobbin thread and stabilizers for the project they are working.

There is a yahoo group that has rave reviews. From the machine reviews I’ve read many have said to seek out and join this group. It is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FuturaEmbroidery/ or if your can search the groups look for FuturaEmbroidery all one word. They will require that you register at the www.singertexas.com web site before you join. This site is owned by people who have worked with and troubleshoot for others these machines.

And worse case, you have a 30-day try period. If you don’t like it after you get it...send it back. No questions asked.

Those are the factors that help me decide to order the furtura.

Send me a pm if you have any other questions. :)
Old 09-14-2010, 07:04 PM

For an embroidery machine, I would really recommend that you buy from a dealer so you will have instructions and someone you can call. Maybe you can even get a used one. It would be nice to work with them before buying to see if you are comfortable with it. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

The futura is pretty basic, and I didn't find that I needed lessons, and the yahoo group answered what questions I have had so far. The 250 is a much better deal, and I think for the little price difference you would be happier with it than the 150 :D:D:D
Old 09-14-2010, 10:31 PM

My first machine was a Singer,entry level, and it was a tough little machine. I upgraded to the Brother Pacesetter 8500 ,12 years ago and it is still going strong.Maybe if you decide to go with a Brother you could upgrade it. There are lots of great machines. Find a dealer you like and try out the machines,you will know when you find the right one.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 PM

I would go Brother. I have the Innovis 4000D (spelling?), and although I don't use it often, it works great when I do. I have had a couple Brother machines and never have had a problem with any of them. Enjoy your embroidery machine once you decide, but as many have already stated, be comfortable with the dealer and get free lessons if offered.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:29 AM

I too have a singer futura 250. I also belonged to the yahoo group for 3 years. They were very helpful. Bought mine from HSN. Personally I wish that I'd saved up and bought a Viking. Much nicer machine, better warranty. Second choice would be a Brother, but a larger model than what you've chosen. Our local brother and viking dealers will let you trade up at anytime as long as you bought from them. Classes are free, and they are so helpful. They also have trade ins that you can get for 1/2 the price. For instance I went a month ago to the viking dealer she had a $1800 for $900. The previous owner had it for 2 weeks and upgraded to the $6000 model. You could get a much nicer machine with patience. Its worth saving for. Should you get the singer feel free to ask questions. Good luck with your purchase and Happy Stitching!