Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard? >
  • Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard?

• Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:08 AM

Well, I just completed my first try at stippling and I have to say, It looks ok. The length of the stitches really depends on how fast you're going. The faster you travel the smaller the stitches I have discovered. I really found it fun and so fast that I got excited thinking, maybe I really will finish all these projects before Christmas. :-)

But I do have to say I find it difficult also. I just don't have the "creative" gene. I can follow a pattern but when it comes to dreaming up (and executing) something, forget it. Mine doesn't look like the pros or folks that do this regularly but I really enjoyed it and think it looks well enough to give the grand-kids.

Hang in there and keep practicing, I think it will get better.
    Old 10-13-2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood

What I prefer to do for the rare times I machine quilt is to pick one of my decorative stitches on my machine or the meandering stitch and go down the seams with it. No SITD or stippling if I can avoid it! LOL

I have also used my embroidery machine and done embroidery designs in the center of blocks.

Here is an example of where I did the decorative programmed stitch in the white strips and an embroidery pattern in the center where the blocks meet.

What a wonderful idea! What beautiful quilting!
    Old 10-13-2010, 06:26 AM

stippling is overated ;-)
    Old 10-13-2010, 06:28 AM

I have a Bernina with BSR like you do. Stippling and all FMQ is SOOOOO much easier and better when you use a Supreme slider http://www.freemotionslider.com/ and gloves. And make sure your machine is inside a table to make a flat surface. With these two tools, I can do anything! Here's a picture of my latest which has a lot of FMQ stippling. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-69826-1.htm
    Old 10-13-2010, 06:33 AM

Some of it has to do with RELAXING! Not too long ago I did a stippling that's really close and tight. Just working to get the wall hanging DONE. After that, I went to a larger stippling and discovered I found it easier..........I think doing the small stippling helped a lot.
    Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 AM
    np3
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by aorlflood
    Here are two more pictures...one using the meandering programmed stitch and the other using a decorative stitch...
    Great ideas!
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:06 AM
    RST

I'll second the use of the supreme slider. That helps a lot.

Also, practice the smooth curves and even spacing by doodling with a pen on paper. I do this at meetings or when on the phone, and it really does help my brain/eye/hand connection.

I also find it helpful to visualize a dime or a nickel and make my curves around my imaginary loose change, keeping it close to the same size. I do a very basic stipple pattern of 3 nice curves to the right, then 2 down, and 2 to the left, then three down, and repeat. Over time, you work in a lot of variations on that.

With the BSR -- which mode are you using? I started with BSR 2, without the foot pedal, and going solely on speed of movement. As I've progressed, I find I like my results on BSR 1 with the foot pedal -- I personally have better control and more pleasing results.

If you haven't taken all your classes yet, that may help -- having an instructor show you the various modes and methods of using the BSR.

And finally -- it's really not hard, but nobody is going to deny that it takes practice. Your sandwiches destined for stockings approach is a good start, but keep going. The freemotion quilters who do the amazing work we all admire most likely put in time almost every day.

RST
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwhite
    I sometimes find i am over thinking it. When i have a glass of wine first my stippleing is much better.
    ROFL I didn't want to put it down but that is exactly what I was thinking. Some relaxing music and getting up frequently might help too.
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 AM
    Power Poster

I love meandering but stippling is hard to me. What helped me most was to get a stencil and mark it on my quilt and follow that pattern. I felt more at ease with it after that. I love quilting gloves too. It helps me move my fabric.
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:31 AM

The main thing is practice - not caring how it looks at this point. There is a rhythm to it, and when you get the rhythm it will make sense to you. Some people are good, some people are not. I am in between, when I first start it takes me a while to warm up, but when I do, I can do it.

I hope you have success. The main thing I'd advise is just do it, and don't worry about what others may think about it or your progress - then it'll turn out great ;)