Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hubby thinks he's doomed.

We've got stash in our bedroom, quilt rail in the hall, and now I've taken over the dining room too. LOL

What can I say, I had to dry my labels! ;-)

Freshly washed quilt labels drying
    Name:  Attachment-32927.jpe
Views: 54
Size:  41.6 KB

Izy
    LOL!! Bet your not soooo keen with the household washing tee hee!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Household washing?? Hell, I don't have time for that, I have quilts to finish! LOL

BLue Chicken I think your grew up w/me!!:)Mom would be so proud!!:)Me too!LOL Skeat

LOL

In a hundred years time, our descendents will see our quilts and think "wow, they must have been cool people". They won't remember how clean (or not) our houses were!

Doesn't automatic washers and dryers mean that THEY do the laundry and we don't have to do anything? lol

Blog Entries
    Hubby thinks he's doomed? does he not realize how lucky he is you didn't make him stand in the yard with the labels pinned to him until they dried in the sun? :shock:

Blog Entries
    please tell how you made the labels thanks

Blog Entries
    Why Blue....I think that is a fabulous idea!!! My DH doesn't stand in one place for too long...and he does have his reasons !!!!

Banned
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, tell hubby he is doomed -- to a life (and house) full of beautiful quilts :D :D

i must know!

what do your labels say?

I love your "clothes line".......make that "label line". What a clever way to dry them. You must show us a close up of them. Nosy minds want to see!! :lol:

My dining room table is even worse - I do my cutting there, so it's there permanently. I think you have a creative imagination to use all your space!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    LOL

In a hundred years time, our descendents will see our quilts and think "wow, they must have been cool people". They won't remember how clean (or not) our houses were!
    Absolutely true. I want to leave something that will last.

Oh I am so glad that there is someone else like me..... had to rush to take the sewing machine of the dining room table so we could eat.

Like your label idea. Pre printed on the computer... or not ???

Elle

We all think alike don't we! LOL

I should have told him lucky he didn't have to make me a little clothesline.

The labels are for my blue and white star exchange quilt... they have each person's user name, real name, and where they're from. I got stars from Canada, USA, and the UK!

I designed labels in EQ and used the bubblejet stuff to print them onto white cotton. I used to buy the pre-prepared sheets for the printer, but they're really pricey. The bubblejet stuff is time consuming, but a LOT cheaper. And these have come out a lot nicer, I've used a high thread count pure white cotton that is used for dying. The images are crisp and the colours nice and bright.

Blue Chicken -

i have the bubble jet stuff and it says it's enough for 7 yards.
    you can't be doing it all at one time surely. how much do you do at a time and do you also use the rinse that they suggest? i bought that too.
    i get the dover books email and in each one there are samples for printout. i saved the ones for past era frames. i thought i would print out the frames and fill in info with sigma pens. or use word. i don't have eq. so i would run each one through 2x. once for the fames and again for the info.
    i've never done it, so do you think it would work that way? do you think it can be run through 2x?

my other idea was to print the frames on good quality striped fabric, then use the stripes as lines and use the sigma pens. feedback, anyone?

since dh is becoming your expert at this, maybe he knows the answer.

:lol: :lol:

whats bubble jet? :oops:

This is the first time I've used it, so I'm kind of still experimenting. The bottle I have says that ideally it needs to be printed on within half an hour of drying.

So I only did enough for the sheets I needed this time. And yes, I used their rinse too. I'm going to wash them in a normal wash today, to make sure they don't run or fade, with a gentle wash powder.

Thinking ahead... I'm not too sure how I'll do labels for single quilts. It would be easy to cut small pieces of fabric, and adjust the paper size on the printer, but it's quite a rigmarole for one small label. I like the idea of pre-printing a pile and then using a pen, but then again I like the "perfect" nature of a printed label, and the note on the bottle about printing within half an hour makes me wonder what would happen if you left some for days or weeks.

Might be worthy of a thread all on its own I think!

Oh, and absolutely it can be sent through the printer twice. I had one sheet that only printed on one end, and it smeared a bit, so I turned it around and reprinted on the other end and it came through fine. I also sent one through upside down (so the labels printed on the freezer paper instead of the fabric) and I resent that one through fine too.

sunnyhope -

it's the stuff that you soak your fabric in so you can print on it.

the chemicals in there produce a chemical reaction with the ink in inkjet
    printers to create a washable, permanent copy of whatever your printer sees on the computer screen. it's used for making labels for the backs, along with other craft items, such as doll faces and like that.

so whatever you type in microsoft word or whatever pictures you have onscreen can be printed permanently on fabric.

Blue Chicken -

that's what i wondered about. ideally i would only want to do one at a time, but.....

since i haven't tried it, tell me, do you use it right out of the bottle or mix it?
    if you use it as is, then you can pour a teeny bit at a time.

i don't want to print a bunch at a time, because not all quilts want the same size. but if that's the best way, i would print the frames on lined fabric and write the labels as needed. if you run through later on for the words, you still have to soak it again, so you may as well soak one at a time to begin with. right?

EDIT: actually, you don't need stripes. you can draw lines with a nonpermanent marker for absolutely straight lines of writing.

I poured the whole bottle into a flat tray, soaked the fabric, then poured the liquid back into the bottle. The bottle I have says it will do 20-25 A4 size sheets. So far I've done 7 and I have just over half a bottle left, so that sounds about right.

sunnyhope - the possibilities are endless! :-)

The colours are a LOT richer in real life, but this is the photo used in a bag (that's not quite finished).
    Name:  Attachment-23705.jpe
Views: 5
Size:  25.5 KB

A photo I loved that I printed onto fabric. The colours are VERY rich and her dress shines as if it's satin.
    Name:  Attachment-23904.jpe
Views: 4
Size:  27.0 KB

aha! so you can return the leftovers to the bottle for future use. that's good to know. i figured that once the geni was out of the bottle, there was no getting it back in again. that may change my approach.

does it stiffen the fabric? call back after you've washed it and pressed it.

sunnyhope - you can print photos that you have in your computer. obviously. i forgot to mention that.

Blog Entries
    Hubby was just worried they would not be dry in time for him to have a place to sit and eat dinner :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe he is afraid his bed will start being used for something quilt related...other than one to sleep under :lol: :lol: :lol: I really like your idea for labels :D :D :D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast