Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread question >

Thread question

Thread question

Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

100% cotton thread tends to break ALOT when quilting; most long arm quilters use polyester threads. but every machine has a personality all it's own and you need to find the thread that works in your machine. what works in mine may not work in yours, and the people at the class??? well, they are going to tell you THEIR preferance, not what is going to be best for you.to use cones you just need to come up with a stand (i actually use a travel cup) to hold the cone upright behind the machine, or you can purchase cone holders, then thread as normal works great. i have found that maxilock thread (for sergers) works really well in my viking and on the long-arm. but some of the expensive, recommended threads do not work for me at all. there is a learning curve to finding what is best for you.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Banned

yes that thread is for hand quilting and glase means it is treated for strength and less tangling. Excellent thread for hand quilting but a NO NO for machine.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

as for using cone thread. Put the cone in a saucer and almost straighten out a large paper clip and tape it to the back of your machine. It works great for cone. You need to get the cone as close to the machine as possible so the thread will unwind straight upward.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:38 AM

I use Mettler or Gutterman as my Bernina machines seem to work better with those threads for quilting.

MLT
Old 11-16-2010, 07:46 AM

I use cotton thread on my domestic machine and on my machine on the frame and it works great. I use mostly Signature and Connecting threads and have not had any trouble with either.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:49 AM

You can definitely get a cone stand from JoAnn's (saw them there this weekend), or use of of the other tricks that people suggest. I use Prescencia 60/3 on a cone for all my piecing, but it is hard to find.

Cheers, K
Old 11-16-2010, 08:18 AM

If you get a thread stand, make sure it has a metal base and not a plastic one. The plastic stands are flimsy and tip over easily. I use one all the time on my Pfaff 7570 and I use Maxi Lock Serger cones. So much more economical.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Spudgm
I use cotton thread on my domestic machine and on my machine on the frame and it works great. I use mostly Signature and Connecting threads and have not had any trouble with either.
This is just what I was going to say. Signature in my LA and Connecting Threads in my domestic and both reasonably priced. Also check the size of your needle. I've found that 11 or 12 allow the thread to pass through the eye more easily. Use that hand quilting thread for the hand sewing part of your binding. I keep my hand quilting thread in a separate place so if the paper end that identifies it comes off I still know not to use it in the machine.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:08 AM

Don't forget to check your needle. You need the correct size and type for whatever thread you use. and then ... you get to play with the tension.

I do agree, some machines just plain don't like some threads no matter what.

ali
Old 11-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Banned

My machine will sew with anything, but my favorite piecing thread is Presencia 60wt 3 ply cotton. Harriet Hargrave recommends it as well.

Superior Threads makes a very nice cast iron thread stand you can use with any sewing machine, I have one for each of my machines as I always use large cones of thread... as you said, much more economical.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...ndcone-holder/