Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$200 to "service" my sewing machine! >

$200 to "service" my sewing machine!

$200 to "service" my sewing machine!

Old 12-05-2010, 06:11 AM

My friend took her 250 dollar Brother embroidery/sewing maching to a local shop here to get serviced and it cost 250. She was in shock too.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:16 AM

the repair prices have gotten w--a--y out of hand on most things now a days!! The plumber came out to service a new hot water tank they installed 10 months ago....long story....and the hourly labor was $89.00. It took him maybe 10 minutes of actual work time on the tank and the drive to the house and back to the business is less than 5 miles......and yes, they figure that time in the hourly wage of the workman. I was floored....

jodi in leavenworth
Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Administrator

after subtracting for parts, the remainder is twice the minimum my dealer charges for routine service/get it working right again - regardless of make or model. so here are the questions:

how long did it take to identify the problem, remove the defective parts, and to replace them?

once you subtract the repair-specific labor, what's the remainder?

how complicated is it to service your make and model? how long does it take, on average? how does your shop's bill compare to the going rate for routine service at other shops in your area?

when i look at the numbers, the cost of routine service seems awfully high. that's especially so when - in the case of my older economy machines - it adds up to more than i either paid for the machine, or the price i could get if i sold it. when i remember that it extends the useful life of any machine, however, and compare it to the cost of a decent replacement, i feel better.

the cost of a new transmission will give you a heart attack. the cost of a whole new car will give you a heart attack, a stroke, and kidney stones to boot.

it's all in how you choose to look at it. :lol:
Old 12-05-2010, 06:34 AM

I took my machine in to the dealer in the summer, it was out of adjustment, but nothing was really broken. It was 179. that floored me. Since I love my machine I gladly paid it, but was shocked none the less.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:32 AM

Seems way too high. I can get my car tuned up for less than that!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:47 AM
JJs
Banned

ha ha, sounds like some of that 'wonderful service' you 'get' from your local dealer when you pay top dollar for the privilege....

I LOVE my old old Singer machines! Clean the gunk, oil and lube and good to go.... Everything is in plain sight to take care of...
Old 12-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Banned

OMGosh!!! I am SO lucky! I have only taken mine for servicing one time,and the guy charged me $20. Cleaned and oiled,took it al apart and cleaned it well while I watched! Hes a retired farmer and just does this for a hobby. He had all kinds of machines lined up for fixing. Lots of old featherweights etc,and treadles.(Amish area near here) Ohh the perks of small town living!!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
Seems way too high. I can get my car tuned up for less than that!
I was thinking the same thing!!!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 AM

Shocking how men refuse to undervalue their work. The costs of doing business have gone up. If you want the business/service to be there next time they have to charge a living wage.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:57 AM

My husband is trying to find a place that will teach sewing machine repair but no one in the industry is willing to tell us where they went to school because they don't want the competition. He even volunteered to be a free helper if someone would teach him but no one will.