Your Worst Gift ?

Old 12-12-2010, 05:21 PM

Weight Watchers cookbookd from MIL after giving me a cheesecake cookbook for my birthday in August!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
Weight Watchers cookbookd from MIL after giving me a cheesecake cookbook for my birthday in August!
Oh I love this one.

My x-mil always gave me a new purse with a penny in it, which wouldn't have been bad, if they were purses I'd like. She must have thought I went through them very fast because she never saw hers. They were not cheap purses, just "old lady" purses, and at that time, I wasn't an old lady. Even now I wouldn't carry those things.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Not sure it was the worst, but was one I never forgot.We had a new baby & no washer & dryer.Christmas was coming & I knew, just knew my husband was getting me a W&D.This was back when ppl washed diapers, so was sorely needed.
So.........He hands me this huge box & what was in it? A card telling me a W&D was coming? No......it was a fur jacket!!!!
I'd never wanted a fur jacket in my life. What was he thinking? Who knows.....
Mom said "don't say a word,or he'll never buy you another gift" LOL
Funny...the year I thought I was going to get an engagement ring for Christmas from my now husband, I got an iron! I got the ring the next month...

:lol:
Old 12-12-2010, 06:58 PM

A set of silver candlestick holders for Christmas the first year I was married. My Mom asked what I wanted and I told her a set of saucepans as we didn't have any. Not sure what she was thinking, but when I gave her a quizical look she said "everyone needs silver candlesticks". 27 years later, the candlestick holders are still in their original box, stored in the back of the cupboard above the refrigerator! I have never "needed" them, let alone used them!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
A 5-pound fruitcake from my brother. This was when I was divorced with only a small dog for company, in a state far away from family. Guess he never realized I don't like fruitcake. Or perhaps he was trying to tell me something???
My brother got a fruit cake for x-mas years ago from his MIL. He didn't unwrap it and the next year she got it back. Then came the comical tradition of each year the other one got it back for x-mas. And so it went for at least ten years, until her death this past summer. Who know what will come of that dreaded fruit cake
Old 12-12-2010, 07:26 PM

A Gizmo for Valentines day... got to love a man that spends $30 on a can opener
Old 12-12-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by NancyG
Originally Posted by Prism99
A 5-pound fruitcake from my brother. This was when I was divorced with only a small dog for company, in a state far away from family. Guess he never realized I don't like fruitcake. Or perhaps he was trying to tell me something???
My brother got a fruit cake for x-mas years ago from his MIL. He didn't unwrap it and the next year she got it back. Then came the comical tradition of each year the other one got it back for x-mas. And so it went for at least ten years, until her death this past summer. Who know what will come of that dreaded fruit cake
It has to be petrified by now......ROFLMBO
Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 PM

Okay here's mine....... I really do know that its the thought that counts but my husbands mother & grandmother always give me and the kids "re-gifted" gifts. I wouldn't even mind so much if they didn't make it so obvious. For example.. 2 years ago I got a home interior picture that had hung on the MIL's wall for years before(and she didn't even include the other pics that went with the set- they are still on her wall to this day)lol... Last year my oldest son received a motorcycle (without an original box) that had already been assembled, and the stickers were dirty. I could name even more, but I'll not get myself worked up... ERRRRRRR
I'm really not picky, but how hard is it to go to the dollar discount store and spend $1 to show that there was actually a "thought" put into it.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:11 PM

Not exactly the worst gift, but certainly brought the most disappointing. Which I guess would technically count.

I remember when I was little I wanted a Chia Pet. They were all the rage at the time and I thought they were neat. So I asked my Grandma for one. It was all I wanted. I should point out this Grandma likes to show off her money to people...so I ended up with all these pricey things wrapped in paper and ribbons that occasionally cost more than the gift it covered like I did every Christmas with her. I got to one present, opened it, and there was the Chia Pet picture on the side of the box. And I screamed in excitement, "A Chia Pet! Thank you! Thank you!"

...Grandma goes "Um...look inside the box". I look inside the box and it was a cassette player and tapes. "Oh. Tapes. Thanks, Grandma". I look back on that and think "That was a really crappy thing to do!" She knew I wanted the Chia Pet and she puts this expensive gift inside an empty Chia Pet box. What was she thinking?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:24 PM

A gift from my first husband -- you know, the one I divorced. I had told him I loved beautiful antique glassware. He bought me an ugly blue thing (not a vase, not a bowl) from Payless (similar to Walmart only cheaper stuff). It had air bubbles in it, and it wobbled on the table. Ironically, the price tag was on it and it was the SAME price as the very pretty old glassware at the antique store we'd been to!!!! One of the many reasons I divorced him....... :)