Worst gift??

Old 08-16-2009, 10:01 PM

I've been reading all these posts at www.motherinlawstories.com Some of them are funny, many are just crazy. I just came across one of the Worst Gift ones that said the following. Some of these ranting and raving daughters-in-law are unbelievable too.

Worst gift: My monster-in-law makes quilts to enter into shows around the country. After she is done with them, she gives them to my children as gifts. She says that she is specifically making them for my kids, but uses them for herself to win prizes. She actually gave me one as a Christmas gift last year. Apparently, she wanted to enter it in a contest. I had called her from a fabric store to see what I needed to buy to hang it on my wall. While I was at the store on the phone with her, asking her what I needed to buy to hang my quilt, she told me, "Oh yeah, I was going to ask to borrow it back to enter it in a contest." I was speechless. The great thing is that I tell my DH, and his response is that I need to stop starting with her!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I was speechless. The great thing is that I tell my DH, and his response is that I need to stop starting with her!!!!!!
That poor man, having to live with a diva like that! On the other hand, Mom should not give the quilt until she is ready to release it.

My monster-in-law was so bad, she invited wife #1 to the family reunion where I was supposed to meet the family. Grrrr, don't get me started!
Old 08-17-2009, 04:35 AM

Oh my I have evil SIL which is just as bad.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:59 AM

I was fortunate to win the MIL lottery. She was so wonderful to me -- never criticized me, never said a bad word to me. She even chewed out DH one time (she absolutely blasted him) because she didn't think he was treating me well enough. She never treated me like an "in law", I was her daughter. I will be trying to follow her example when my sons eventually get married. I wish everyone could have a MIL like mine.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:08 AM

I think I'm lucky too.
I do have spats with the in-laws over Christmas gifts and visiting, but those are pretty much ironed out. I stand my ground and that's that.
Other than that, I'm one of the family and not considered an in-law
Old 08-17-2009, 07:38 AM

I never had a problem with my MIL, got along just fine though didn't see her more than a couple of times a month.

I was just astonished that the above DIL complained about getting quilts that had been in shows just so the MIL could win prizes herself. Obviously there is a major failure to communicate, or educate. Or maybe just one of those people who don't appreciate hand-made things or know their worth.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 AM

I was really surprised to read that someone would be upset about having their gift quilt entered in a contest, but if she's not interested in quilting, she likely doesn't realize that this is very common.

To her, it probably seems like it's not fully a gift, since the MIL uses it for the other purpose. It may feel to her like she's getting castoffs, fallout from the woman's hobby. If she and the kids don't need or want quilts, to be given them instead of gifts thoughtfully chosen to please them really isn't a gift then.

That said, it's not like the MIL is carelessly cranking out quilts. If they're contest quality, she's put thought and work (and probably a lot of love) into making them. Someone does need to set this DIL straight on that.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

What a horrid daughter-in-law!!! Hopefully the children will take after their father :wink:
Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisanne
I was really surprised to read that someone would be upset about having their gift quilt entered in a contest, but if she's not interested in quilting, she likely doesn't realize that this is very common.

To her, it probably seems like it's not fully a gift, since the MIL uses it for the other purpose. It may feel to her like she's getting castoffs, fallout from the woman's hobby. If she and the kids don't need or want quilts, to be given them instead of gifts thoughtfully chosen to please them really isn't a gift then.

That said, it's not like the MIL is carelessly cranking out quilts. If they're contest quality, she's put thought and work (and probably a lot of love) into making them. Someone does need to set this DIL straight on that.
Hasn't it occured to the DIL that she might be the recipient of a prize winning quilt?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:49 PM

If someone isn't into quilts or quilting, they just don't understand. :(