Worst gift??

Old 08-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Something tells me that the MIL could do no right and the DIL can do no wrong. Apparently the quilt was good enough for DIL to want to hang it on the wall.....

I have worked out the kinks with my MIL (long hard road) but we have made peace quite a few years ago. We have set ground rules and as long as we follow them, all is well. Once a year we have a date to go to the locak quilt show. She crochets, but appreciates quilting.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
I was fortunate to win the MIL lottery. She was so wonderful to me -- never criticized me, never said a bad word to me. She even chewed out DH one time (she absolutely blasted him) because she didn't think he was treating me well enough. She never treated me like an "in law", I was her daughter. I will be trying to follow her example when my sons eventually get married. I wish everyone could have a MIL like mine.
Me too, Mine is a gem. I don't have my own mother, she died when I was young, so she is having to fill both DM and DMIL roles...she does a great job. I feel like I hit the lotto with her and my DFIL.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

What a horrid daughter-in-law!@!!
I had a wonderful MIL, she came to see me , everyday, and was always bring some little something to me. She cooked dinner every sunday, the whole 20 years that I had her. She was my quilting partner, and we spent lots of time, sitting at my frame quilting together. I was truly blessed, and still miss her.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Hasn't it occured to the DIL that she might be the recipient of a prize winning quilt?
lol, good point.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:19 PM

How can someone be offended about someone making a quilt for her. My mother made me some and used them in quilt shows and I was so proud of them. She will be sorry one day when the MIL is gone and there are no more prize winning quilts. My mother has passed and those are the most precious things to me along with the ribbons she won. All I can say is God Bless and maybe she will change her mind someday. Here's hoping.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:03 PM

Wow...what an ungrateful daughter-in-law! I have never been able to relate to the horrid mother-in-law stories. I had been married to my husband for 4 months when my mother died instantly in a car crash. My mother-in-law very gently stepped in and was a mother to me as well as my hubby and his 3 siblings. We have been married for 30 years now, and my mother-in-law lost her 5 year battle with ovarian cancer in early April. I miss her as much as I miss my own mom. And, like many of you, I hope I am a great a mother-in-law to my own children's future spouses!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

I had a wonderful MIL. She was great to me and I still miss her. My thorn in my side is my SIL. She is a diva. If everything isn't revolving around her she starts a fight so it will. After 15 years of never seeing them for any holiday ( except a two hour visit on Christmas Eve ) she now wants to have more holidays with us. It turns out her sisters had a family meeting with her and told her to change her attitude or not come to the family gatherings. So now she is disrupting ours with her nasty comments and efforts to start fights. Oh well, we just ignore her. We aren't going to wreck our family times just to satisfy her need for attention.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

What an ungrateful person! I feel so sorry for that son to have to live with that! I had a wonderful MIL...Loved her as much as my own mother and got along with her even better than I did my own Mom! I'd love love love to be able to have one of her quilts (there weren't many and my SIL has them..I just wish my SIL was a quilter, but I know she does love them)..so all is well.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:46 AM

I don't have a MIL- she said if hubby chose me, he was out of the family. So he has no mom, dad or brother.

I say I will be the mil I wish I had. And my garnds will get the grandparents they didn't have either.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm
I don't have a MIL- she said if hubby chose me, he was out of the family. So he has no mom, dad or brother.

I say I will be the mil I wish I had. And my garnds will get the grandparents they didn't have either.
That is appalling - I cannot imagine making that statement to my child, let alone following thru with it. I hope to be a good MIL as I want my children to be happy. Believe me, having problems with family creates so much tension in marriages - I see it all the time in my law practice. I say love your children, and accept their adult choices. Unless they are behaving criminally or in ways that are harmful to others, there's no reason not to welcome in a new family member.

Sorry that happened to you and your DH Barb - that just really strikes a bad nerve for me!