Worst gift??

Old 08-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Banned

i'm siding with the DIL on this one and i'm a quilter and i know exactly what goes into making a quilt especially when its to enter a show.

i had a wonderful MIL and i took care of her and nursed for years before she died.

if the MIL is not ready to give the quilt without any strings attached she shouldn't give her the quilt.

the DIL should be allowed to treat the quilt any way she wishes and not have to worry about use because the MIL might want to put it in a show next year.

who gives a gift with stipulations on use - thats not a gift.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by KayBee
Get over it! I'm wondering if you have any idea what is involved in making a quilt, the cost involved, and if you even appreciate your quilt gifts. Would be thrilled to have an award winning quilt as a gift from your talented mother-in-law.
of course i know what goes into the making of a quilt. that's why i give them to people who want them. i would never ask for them back to show them off at a show. and my family would laugh themselves to death if i did. then they would kill me. that just proves my point. the satisfaction of winning is more important than giving a gift of the heart. maybe she should buy the dil something she would like better, especially if it means so little to her. ask what personal item, just for herself, she would like to have. maybe something girly-girly? a bubble bath? a special cologne? sexy underwear?

give the quilt, certainly, because YOU want to. and acknowledge that that's the reason.

i would never dream of giving a quilt to someone who i felt didn't appreciate it,. furthermore, her h should understand this. i wonder if he gives her a wrench, because he has a really good one he doesn't use anymore.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:45 PM

I see both points, but I have to say the argument is kinda silly. A quilt is a wonderful gift no matter. All gifts from In laws have strings, seen or not they are there. Want to talk about a bad gift? the first gift I got from the Inlaws after my wedding was a cemetary plot. I would love to have gotten a quilt even if it had a ton of strings. My MIL is gone now but I still have gifts that have strings.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I've been reading all these posts at www.motherinlawstories.com Some of them are funny, many are just crazy. I just came across one of the Worst Gift ones that said the following. Some of these ranting and raving daughters-in-law are unbelievable too.

Worst gift: My monster-in-law makes quilts to enter into shows around the country. After she is done with them, she gives them to my children as gifts. She says that she is specifically making them for my kids, but uses them for herself to win prizes. She actually gave me one as a Christmas gift last year. Apparently, she wanted to enter it in a contest. I had called her from a fabric store to see what I needed to buy to hang it on my wall. While I was at the store on the phone with her, asking her what I needed to buy to hang my quilt, she told me, "Oh yeah, I was going to ask to borrow it back to enter it in a contest." I was speechless. The great thing is that I tell my DH, and his response is that I need to stop starting with her!!!!!!
I think the monster MIL should stop giving her quilts to this family -

I do see butterflywing's point - the DIL's viewpoint of the MIL's apparent order of priorities in making and giving the quilts.

One of the things I treasure most is a love note from my DH written on a scrap of paper. (Haven't gotten one lately, but he did change the flat tire without fussing a week ago!)
Old 08-20-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I see both points, but I have to say the argument is kinda silly. A quilt is a wonderful gift no matter. All gifts from In laws have strings, seen or not they are there. Want to talk about a bad gift? the first gift I got from the Inlaws after my wedding was a cemetary plot. I would love to have gotten a quilt even if it had a ton of strings. My MIL is gone now but I still have gifts that have strings.
then they're not gifts, are they? look up 'gift' in the dictionary. it doesn't say "something you give away so the recipient will feel like she/he has to feel guilty about receiving it, or feel like he/she has to do something in exchange". that's a bunch of hooey, as my gift-giving fil would say.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
then they're not gifts, are they? look up 'gift' in the dictionary. it doesn't say "something you give away so the recipient will feel like she/he has to feel guilty about receiving it, or feel like he/she has to do something in exchange". that's a bunch of hooey, as my gift-giving fil would say.
the cemetary thing is a hoot. hint, hint.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:37 PM

The MIL needs to find someone who really appreciates all the work AND expense that goes into a quilt and give it to them. This young woman has no clue. How ungrateful.

Although I have to also say that when my Sis was moving I happened to go to her house and found a quilt I'd made in the Goodwill box. I picked it up and gave it to my pooch. When he died, he was buried with it as it became his favorite quilt.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
there must be something wrong with me. when i give a gift, i take into consideration what the person wants, needs, likes. what size, color, etc.
sometimes it's a giftcard. sometimes a toolchest. sometimes a gift of jewelry. but it's always for that person.

that MIL is not doing that. SHE's having fun, doing what SHE likes to do, making quilts. SHE gets satisfaction winnings ribbons. that's fine. if she then wants to pass them along - great! but they are not xmas gifts to anyone else but herself. anyone who gets them is lucky. but let's not confuse gifting with shedding. she gives these quilts once she has no use for them. if she made a quilt for each person and gave it for the pleasure of the intended person, then it would really be a gift. this way she wants three-for-the-money. 1- the joy of the making 2- the pride of the winning and lastly, 3 - the gratitude of the recipient. note the order of importance here.

what if the dil really wanted slipcovers for her carseats? and the kids wanted some electronic game? what if she actually had to forgo buying fabric in order to give someone else the gift they really wanted? in other words, a gift of the heart. what then?

from that paragraph, the dil is not expressing herself well, but she knows that what she's getting IS unneeded castoffs. regardless of their beauty and/or value. that mil has put herself first. that is not a true gift.

shoot me at dawn.
Butterfly: We won't shoot you at dawn! :lol: Your opinion counts and is welcome...all perspectives afford growth and learning experiences as well as helping point out a possible DIFFERENT way of thinking or approaching a subject. Your opinions are a GOOD THING as Martha Stewart would say.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 AM

Some people don't get it and probobly never will. Even if she were told just how her family feels it would likely make no diffrence. We are all unique and you have to learn to live together or choose to be a loner. That is how you are diffrent from everyone else.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

the first gift I got from the Inlaws after my wedding was a cemetary plot.
Oh my - did it have a "to be used by" date attached? :twisted: :lol: