Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to quilting-need help! >

New to quilting-need help!

New to quilting-need help!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:10 AM

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida!!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 AM

my first real quilt was a wall hanging size hunters star. it was easy. I would just take your daughter and pick out four fabrics and then go from there. most of the time the fabric will tell you what pattern it likes the best. (i know I sound nuts) but some fabrics lend themselves better to certain types of patterns. and I do agree that most of the carol doak books are wonderful for a beginner. (which I still am, have not been quilting for a year as yet.) if you want to get free patterns you could always look at the site http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html
or another site would be http://www.jinnybeyer.com/block-a-we...g.cfm?axis_v=2
the next quilt that i did after making a few hunters stars was one from two blocks off the jinny beyer website.
as long as you have pics showing how things go together i find that most blocks are relatively easy to go together as long as I pay attention to what I am doing. you will have to share the journey of the quilt with us. and ask away with questions. this place is the best for getting advise and opinions on quilting.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:44 AM

Hello and welcome from Alabama. Hancock Fabric has fabric with "Mother" written on it, as well as other words. Just an idea for the backing. Look it up when you get a chance. Go to Hancockfabric.com and type in mother fabric.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:49 AM

welcome!!

a pattern that is so easy and looks great is the snowball!! use a lot of different fabrics (scrappy look!! ) in the main blocks but use all the same color ( my fav is black!!) for the corners. You end up with a nice color pattern. Quilitng is easy too, just do a stitch in the ditch and it looks great too!!

enjoy the process....

jodi in leavenworth

PS...if you use 6 inch blocks, you can go to the fabric stores and buy 6 1/2 inch strips of a lot of different prints. you will get 7, 6 inch squares from each different fabric, so if you buy 10 to 12 different fabrics, you would have your quilt top blocks for a nice sized quilt. you also need the corner stone blocks....maybe a yard or two of a good solid and the batting and backing.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Welcome from Eagar,AZ. I am a fairly newbee. Still not doing anything much that is too demanding. I am currently working on a bargello quilt (begginners) strictly all squares the same size. I told DH what I wanted and he set the pattern up for me.