Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING >

USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING

USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING

Old 01-26-2011, 01:04 AM

I have used them recently in some dog/cat donation quilts...they were used a couple of times before I stitched on them so that all the chemicals should have been out of them. I had saved 8 of them and used all 8 instead of 1 fresh one to get the last of the stuff out of them.
I really hope that those quilts will be safe......
Old 01-26-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I may have to do an experiement myself after one is washed.
I think she meant that she was going to make a 'sample' (tiny) quilt and check it.
BUT
I agree - anything will flame up if held to a fire.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

I would think the quilt top and back would have to be on fire first before the sheet would flame up. Cotton will burn to ash, poly or other synthetics will not turn to ash but melt into a blob. It's horrible to think about someone being wrapped in a non cotton quilt and it catch on fire. That's the main reason I use all cotton for quilt fabric and batting.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 AM

I just did a test in my kitchen with dryer sheet, poly-cotton, fusible interfacing and 100% cotton. They all burned the same - quickly. The poly-cotton curled up in flame, the cotton burned the fastest and with much more flame, the fusible burned very quickly and the dryer sheet burned quickly, but not any quicker than the other three. As someone said, put a match to anything and it will burn. I used dryer sheets in quilting and was very alarmed when I read the post this morning, so I did the experiment myself. If you recently saw the damage a candle did to a quilters quilt in progress, you would see just how quickly a quilt will burn without a dryer sheet involved.

I am always thankful for new information and warnings. I am glad I saw the post so I could see for myself as PatG suggested. Thank you PatG for the suggestion and warning. However, since they all burned the same, I am not afraid of using the dryer sheets.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oma66
I am always thankful for new information and warnings. I am glad I saw the post so I could see for myself as PatG suggested. Thank you PatG for the suggestion and warning. However, since they all burned the same, I am not afraid of using the dryer sheets.

That's what I suspected. Good for you oma!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:19 AM

I don't use them because of all the perfumes and chemicals in them. That's enough to deter me, never mind the possible fire hazards. I like to save $, but not in this manner.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 AM

Thank you Oma66 for your test. I was thinking the same thing. That is why fabric for children's sleepwear is labeled as such- it is treated with a flame retardant so it will not burn so quickly. It is usually polyester & not great for quilting.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:00 AM

I just did a test in my kitchen with dryer sheet, poly-cotton, fusible interfacing and 100% cotton. They all burned the same - quickly. The poly-cotton curled up in flame, the cotton burned the fastest and with much more flame, the fusible burned very quickly and the dryer sheet burned quickly, but not any quicker than the other three. As someone said, put a match to anything and it will burn. I used dryer sheets in quilting and was very alarmed when I read the post this morning, so I did the experiment myself. If you recently saw the damage a candle did to a quilters quilt in progress, you would see just how quickly a quilt will burn without a dryer sheet involved.

Ah, reality check. Thank you so much for this. :)
Old 01-26-2011, 08:16 AM

Like others have said - put fire to something...most everything will burn. I can't imagine a dryer sheet going up any faster than other interfacing, fusible or plain quilting cotton. Cotton batting goes up pretty quickly too. Though I haven't yet used dryer sheets in my quilting, I would not hesitate because of this. It's not like they spontaneously go up in flames or anything.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 AM
np3
Power Poster

Thank you for posting this. I was sitting here thinking that they would all burn! I was going to try it but you saved me the trouble!