Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • July Beach Days >
  • July Beach Days

• July Beach Days

Old 07-31-2008, 03:08 PM

Thanks for sharing your pictures. They are BEAUTIFUL! They make me want to visit Maine, and I had never thought about it before. :lol:

Old 07-31-2008, 05:22 PM

Great pictures! I'll be there soon!

judee
    Old 07-31-2008, 05:28 PM

This is my house - look way to the left - second house in with the floor to ceiling windows. If any of you really want to come, you are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-18854.jpe  
    Old 07-31-2008, 05:33 PM

Terri, I am in Scarborough - about 7 miles south of Portland. Our beach is almost a mile long with a river on the north and lots of rock formations on the south. Great playing areas for all ages! Great fishing from shore or boat. Great surfing too. Water is cold, but most people wear wetsuits now. Our tide goes out about 250 feet, so sometimes it is a long walk to the water. And sometimes during storms the water comes right up to your house!! I am just about 100 feet from the beach - makes for easy access. Just not much land with my house, but have to give up something I guess.
    Old 07-31-2008, 06:02 PM

what a gorgeous view you have!! I am a beach bum and could get used to living like you do really easy!!!
    Old 07-31-2008, 07:11 PM

what a view!!! So, when are you having an open house next? I'm sure we'd all come if we could. :-D
    Old 07-31-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by beachlady
    Terri, I am in Scarborough - about 7 miles south of Portland. Our beach is almost a mile long with a river on the north and lots of rock formations on the south. Great playing areas for all ages! Great fishing from shore or boat. Great surfing too. Water is cold, but most people wear wetsuits now. Our tide goes out about 250 feet, so sometimes it is a long walk to the water. And sometimes during storms the water comes right up to your house!! I am just about 100 feet from the beach - makes for easy access. Just not much land with my house, but have to give up something I guess.
    I know exactly where you are!
    Great little town, Portland is. :)
    Let's see....I could just sit at your front/back door and toss my fishing line out and catch dinner. lol
    Maybe go out quohoging if the water goes out that far. Oops, clam digging would be what you do in Maine. They are Quohogs in RI. :)
    OMG! We could have a clambake!!! That would be awesome!
    Maybe I can talk hubby into getting orders to Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. IT COULD HAPPEN!! Maybe I'll call the scrawney Detailer and see what he has to offer. Wouldn't that be great fun? Oh my! Then I would be closer to Karla and I could go play with Rosie and it wouldn't take me as long to drive up to Quilting Aggi to visit. Are ya up for road trips? :)
    Old 08-01-2008, 03:27 AM

Your fishing line would have to be pretty long to cast off my deck - might catch a bathing suit or two in the process!! We have quohogs - people dig for them all the time - with all the rain we have been having, I am not sure if they are safe to eat right now - I use them to make stuffed clams - need to chop them up since they are so tough. The little necks make good eating though. The news said last night that lobster is cheaper than sliced turkey - it is down to under $6.00 a pound. Lobstermen are suffering.

We are going to be over Karla's way in September, but probably not close enough to visit her. She will be teaching. Would love to go to Newfoundland to see Aggi. That is a long drive, but we could talk all the way!!!

I think Portsmouth Naval is closing soon, or maybe they got a reprieve - that is a little over an hour from me.
    Old 08-01-2008, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by beachlady
    Your fishing line would have to be pretty long to cast off my deck - might catch a bathing suit or two in the process!! We have quohogs - people dig for them all the time - with all the rain we have been having, I am not sure if they are safe to eat right now - I use them to make stuffed clams - need to chop them up since they are so tough. The little necks make good eating though. The news said last night that lobster is cheaper than sliced turkey - it is down to under $6.00 a pound. Lobstermen are suffering.

We are going to be over Karla's way in September, but probably not close enough to visit her. She will be teaching. Would love to go to Newfoundland to see Aggi. That is a long drive, but we could talk all the way!!!

I think Portsmouth Naval is closing soon, or maybe they got a reprieve - that is a little over an hour from me.
    I talked to hubby about Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. He says that could be do-able. No, they aren't on the list yet. They were, but not no more. There's an air station that is on the list that's in Maine and will be closing.

We could have so much fun! Now, to make sure I can REALLY talk him into it AND hope they have a billet!
    He also said that we could go to Ballston Spa, NY. Where ever that is!
    Old 08-01-2008, 03:48 AM

Brunswick Air is the one that is closing - that is about an hour north of here. That town is going to be hurting when all the airmen and women leave.

Portsmouth Naval is actually on the Maine side of New Hampshire - they always fight about which state it is in -though Portsmouth is in NH.

You would have a ball buying fabric where I do - It is a surplus store that has everyhting including a fabric dept. and they carry all the top designers - highest price is $3.29 - but most are 2.69-2.99.

Ballston Spa looks like it is a little north of Albany NY.