Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you dislike traditional quilting >

Do you dislike traditional quilting

Do you dislike traditional quilting

Old 02-10-2011, 01:33 PM

I like traditional as well as art quilts. Going in the modern and art quilt direction these days. Need more of a creative challenge in my quilting. In fact I am working on one now for juroring into the Mississippi Craftsman's Guild.
Keeping my fingers crossed!!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:35 PM

I like both styles. It depends on my mood and the colors of fabric I am working with. Maybe thats why I have so many different projects going at one time.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 PM

I fell in love with "art quilts" when I was learning how to quilt. I thought "THOSE are the kinds of quilts I want to make". I worked on traditional stuff as babies were being born and needed blankies, but I wanted to focus on art quilts.

I went to the Internation Quilt show a few years ago in Chicago with the intention of seeing the art quilts in all their glory. I was hyped. I went, I looked, I wasn't "wowed" like I thought I would be. The single quilt that WOWED me was .... "No Pain, No Jane" by Cindy Garcia. You don't get any more traditional than that folks.

http://cindygarciaquilts.com/Traditional_Quilts.html

So I have a new appreciation for traditional blocks now.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:44 PM
QM
Power Poster

One of the delightful things about quilting is that there is room for a wide variety of styles and visions. I don't want to hand quilt, but I enjoy seeing the work of those who do. Like you, I am bored making the same patterns the same ways, but I don't want to do art quilts. My solution is to invent my own semi-traditional quilts. I play with the traditional elements. If it isn't fun, why bother? Blankets are definitely cheaper.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:48 PM

I am moving away from 'traditional ' quilt patterns to more contemporary looks. I have begun to fall in love with some of the fabric patterns I've seen coming from Japanese manufactorers; don't get me wrong I still have a room over flowing with batiks, tonals, civil war repos, etc. But now they have some friends in from out of town!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:04 PM
RST

I don't dislike any style, though I will confess that some quilts bore me, just because they feel very predictable. I love to take a tremendously traditional block, and using an unusual color combo, surprising fabric, or unexpected scale, switch it up some to give it some new life.

I often don't feel warm fuzzy love for quilts that are playing it too safe -- very conservative colors, very predictable patterns, nothing daring about them.

RST
Old 02-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

kind of funny...someone asked me a while ago...what kind of quilter are you? i had no idea how to answer that...and my friend turned around and said...she's a traditional quilter...this surprised me...i responded...really?
i guess i really do not know what makes a person a traditional quilter or not...i design quilts...make lots of different styles types, sizes, shapes and use numerous techniques from paper piecing, applique, stained glass, template piecing...just everything...so...why is what i do considered ... traditional? maybe it's the fabric choice? i don't really use the modern, cottage floral fabrics, i guess i do use more traditional fabrics...but i like batiks and fairy frost's...so i just don't understand the distinction of traditional vs modern quilter??? ;)
Old 02-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

I can appreciate all of them, but my choice is scrappy traditional.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

I also like both and there are absolutely no limits with quilting!!
Let's all have funnnnnnnnnnnn !!! :D:D:D:D

PS. I just realized I have not met too many quilts I
didn't like ;)
Old 02-10-2011, 02:27 PM

I like some "art" quilts, but not all. Some just look to me like they should have been with paint on a canvas instead of sewn with cloth and thread. I don't know why they're called "quilts" at all, as that is not their purpose or what they look like, but that's just my stupid opinion!! :-P

I like to take a pattern and turn it into something else by using different fabrics...bright modern prints in a very traditional 1930s pattern, civil war prints in a more contemporary new pattern, for example.