Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilting Rulers What ones you like and dislike?

Blog Entries
    Quilting Rulers

What ones you like and dislike, why?

I like the Tailor brand I have. The colors of the lines are teal, black and red. I can SEE those colors. I have trouble seeing the yellow colors....no matter what fabric I'm laying it on.

Blog Entries
    thanks for your fast reply!

Power Poster
    surprising as it may be, not all rulers are created equal -

the advice to use only one ruler - or brand of ruler - for a project is GOOD advice

I can't use any of the rulers with the yellow lines. It's just to hard for me to see. I like the standard black lines.

Blog Entries
    I like the omnigrid rulers. They have both black and lime green lines and are more visible on most fabrics than any other rulers I have. I might replace my 6x24 with omnigrid soon. The one I have is just black lines, and is very difficult to use on the black fabric that I'm using now.

Go to a quilt/fabric store and lay out the different rulers on different colors and see which ones appeal to you. I have some color challenge so I like the black lines.

Also, some rulers add in the 1/4 inch and others don't so be aware when you are buying.

Have a great day. :-D

Blog Entries
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Go to a quilt/fabric store and lay out the different rulers on different colors and see which ones appeal to you. I have some color challenge so I like the black lines.

Also, some rulers add in the 1/4 inch and others don't so be aware when you are buying.

Have a great day. :-D

I agree with bearisgray. Choose one brand and stay with it. I prefer the EZ brand of rulers. The numbers and lines are easy to read and the lines don't disappear over time.

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Whatever brand you buy I've heard it works best if you remove the paper backing if it has one. lol

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45674-1.htm

Blog Entries
    I like the black and yellow ones. It's the green ones that don't work for me. If you are in the marke, go to a place that carries variety and test them on a variety of fabrics, A ruler may work on lights but not on darks. You can also get a feel for the sizes.

I like to Omnigrid, mainly as I have alot of them. If I was just starting out I would consider the frosted ones, they seem to be anti skid.

Banned
    The advice about going to a shop and trying out several is a good one and then stick with that brand. I have used Omnigrid since I bought the first one many years ago and recently got two of the ones with 1/8 marks in black. I only buy other rulers if they apply to special techniques. I know my Omnigrid would probably work but it is easier to get the ruler that matches the technique. Whatever you do..don't mix brands for your general use. They are not all equal even tho they may look the same (measurements that is).

My favourite rulers are the O'Lipfa lipe edge rulers. I love that little extra edge that hangs onto my cutting board and makes it far more secure so it does not slip when cutting. For added assurance I also add the little clear plastic ruler grippers. The sand paper ones don't work that well for me. I just wish O'Lipfa made their rulers in all sizes. They do have a 5"X24" (my personal favourite) a 3"X18" and a 4"X36' which is great for wider fabrics. The lines are black and easy to see. If you can try out a few of your friend's rulers first, it might help you decide. Not every ruler will be equally loved by all quilters.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    My favourite rulers are the O'Lipfa lipe edge rulers. I love that little extra edge that hangs onto my cutting board and makes it far more secure so it does not slip when cutting.
    I like them, too, but they are more for rectangles than angled cuts. I use the colored tape when doing lots of cutting, so it is easier to see with some rulers.

I like the omnigrid ones. Work great for me.

My favorite are "Quilters Rule" which have ridges on the back that keep them even on the fabric--no slippage.

Blog Entries
    I love my OmniEdge. It prevents the fabric moving as you make your cuts. I try moving the hand down the ruler as I learned, but sometimes it moves just a tiny bit making my cut a bit inaccuate. This prevents that.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by moreland
    My favorite are "Quilters Rule" which have ridges on the back that keep them even on the fabric--no slippage.
    Quilters Rule was the brand my LQS recommended when I first started about 20 years ago. I have several from that line.

I like some of the other brands with thinner measurement lines better now, especially when cutting small pieces.

I use Creative Grids. They're clear with black lines and are non-slip. I own several other brands all different colors and always find myself going back to the clear Creative Grids. My favorite sizes are 6 1/2 square and 6 1/2 x 12 1/2.

One of my favortite rulers is from Olfa. It's frosted and you can see the lines on any color of fabric. I have a lot of rulers from several different companies and I like the majority of them for one task or another.

I started with Quilters Rule and liked the grid lines that are 3-d on the back seem to really grip . . . but over time, I've found it has lost its accuracy (perhaps the acrylic is wearing away from the cutting edge??) and the black is rubbing off of the grid lines. My next one I got is an EZ Rule and I love it! It is my "go to" ruler. But at a retreat last year I borrowed someones "Big Daddy by Trudie Hughes" and ran right out to the quilt store that same day and got one for myself. I love the simplicity of it and the lines are easy for me to read. So now I have 2 favorites.

On the dislikes, I have an Olfa that I hate using (can't quite put my finger on why). I also have one by Marti Mitchell called "Is It Square Tool" that is WAY TOO busy with soo many dashes and intersections that I am so overwhelmed I give up.

PJL
    Land of 10,000 Lakes and a gazillion mosquitos
    I have both Creative Grid and Omni rulers. I prefer the Creative Grids. Most of my Omni's were gifts.

I'd like to see "Big Daddy" ruler mentioned above. I'm going to ask at the LQS if they have them.

I like Creative Grids.

Quote Originally Posted by hoppyfrog
    I use Creative Grids. They're clear with black lines and are non-slip. I own several other brands all different colors and always find myself going back to the clear Creative Grids. My favorite sizes are 6 1/2 square and 6 1/2 x 12 1/2.
    Creative grid is my favorite too even though I have a number of Omingrid rulers. My fave is the 2 1/2" by 36 1/2" ruler by creative grid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast