Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have Roxanne Thimble--Like--Dislike????? >

Do you have Roxanne Thimble--Like--Dislike?????

Do you have Roxanne Thimble--Like--Dislike?????

Old 10-28-2011, 08:03 PM

I jsut bought a Roxanne thimble & started using it this eve. At first I thought this is a joke. It doesn't seem to fit my finger well. You see I have a very lg knot on the first knuckle from holding a pencil while writing & it has been there since I was little.
Any way, I thought this isn't going to work. I started thinking about a few other things going on right now in my life & before I knew it , I hardly knew it was there. At first I thought , well, I have just spent $50 for nothing.
However the more I wore it, the more compforable it became. By golly I think I am going to like it.
Just wanted to see what others thought of the thimble.
Thanks for looking, Donna,The Rustic Quilter
Old 10-28-2011, 08:31 PM

Yes, I do have one and I do like it. It isn't perfect for me though. What I like about it....quilting with the pad of my finger rather than the tip, that is the most comfortable way for me. It is made to be able to use if you have fingernails but it doesn't work for me if I have even a tiny bit of length on my nail. My nails are wide and the shape of the cutout on the thimble is very narrow and oval shaped. I have since found another thimble that is like the Roxanne one, using the pad of the finger, but it's opening is better for me, and the price is WAY cheaper. Clover makes it, it is a bronze colored metal, open sided, adjustable for around $11.00. I need at least 2 thimbles because my fingers swell during the summer and shrink back in the cold. At $50.00 a piece, buying 2 is tough. Hope it works well for you.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

I have one similar, with the open back, but in my opinion, mine is prettier. Its silver, and I have used it such a lot that I got a little hole in it. They repair it for free, but I didn't sent it back, because I thought I might end up paying Customs duty for a second time when it was returned, so I got it mended at my local jewellers.

It is a little bit loose on me, so I have a tiny piece of blutack stuck inside that just stops it slipping on my finger.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:02 PM

These are the only thimbles that I use. Love them.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:04 PM
dd

So Lacelady, what type thimble do you have? I haven't decided about the Roxanne yet either but I already have the bronze one.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dd
So Lacelady, what type thimble do you have? I haven't decided about the Roxanne yet either but I already have the bronze one.
Phew, I had a problem remembering the name, but I found it (thank you Google)
http://www.thimbles2fit.com/cgi-bin/...mble_open_main

I have the open heart lacy one, and its beautiful. (Since I am on my own now, I buy myself a birthday present each year, and I find I am more generous with me, than I was with my DH who is now my ex!)
Old 10-29-2011, 01:50 AM

Thanks for thepost. I too am looking for the perfect thimble. I have a Roxannes but it seems so bulky.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:07 AM

Wow! Pricey!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 AM

I've had Roxanne thimbles for the last 10 years. It was hard to learn to use it, but once I did, I found my handquilting got a lot better. I bought the book "That Perfect Stitch" which helped me understand how she uses the thimble, plus a lot of other tips.

I also have a TJ Lane thimble, which I like just as well - I feel very elegant when I use it.

Janet
Old 10-29-2011, 05:28 AM

I have a Roxanne thimble and love it. I have short, wide fingers and it's the first thimble that I've had that has been comfortable on my finger and that fits right.