Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Roxanne thimble won't stay on >

My Roxanne thimble won't stay on

My Roxanne thimble won't stay on

Old 02-05-2017, 07:27 PM

Default My Roxanne thimble won't stay on

I've had my thimble for years and love it, but lately I can't seem to be able to keep it from falling off my finger. I don't think I've lost weight there.....but in case I have, is there anything I can put on my finger or in the thimble to keep it from slipping off?
Old 02-05-2017, 07:28 PM

Try a bandaid on your finger.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:55 PM

I painted the inside of my brass Roxanne thimble with clear nail polish to make it grab a bit. Mine fits well, though. If you've lost weight, you've probably lost some in your fingers. Depending on how loose it is, you may be able to try a wrap of different things around your finger, like white medical tape (you know, the kind in the round metal donut) or even that brightly colored vet wrap being used around your arm after an IV or blood test. You can find that vet wrap at Tractor Supply, I believe, identical to but cheaper than the same stuff sold for humans in a drug store.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:06 PM

Funny you should say that - I have a silver thimble for TJ Lane that was suddenly not staying on my finger. Usually I can just lick my finger and it would stick on. One thing you can do is put a dab of glue on you finger to make it sticky. I was getting a bit irritated with mine not staying on so I ran my finger over the glue stick and it worked. Then I had another one got it out which was perfect, and I remembered one I use in the summer when my fingers are slightly swollen from the heat and the one in winter when my fingers are colder and thinner.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Power Poster

I would cut a piece of white medical tape and line the inside of the thimble.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:13 AM

There is a sticky wax that is used to keep candles straight in candle sticks - it does not harden and you use a small pea sized portion on the candle base and press into the holder to keep the candle from leaning in a large holder. This would most likely work inside a thimble to keep it on your finger and not be uncomfortable/irritating or bulky feeling on your finger.

It is in small round tin called "Stick-Um Candle Adhesive" by Craftsmen's - they also have other products for furniture scratches, white rings, marble cleaner etc. - I am not affiliated with this company - just love their products and use them for different furniture calamities.

I think this product would work really well because it doesn't harden and is very pliable - doesn't leave any residue and can be easily removed (washes off with hot soapy water). It would feel like there is nothing different about the inside of the thimble when you use it.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

This works for me. It's great for picking up small fabric pieces too.

http://www.homespunhearth.com/Lickety-Grip.asp
Old 02-06-2017, 06:56 AM

I lick my finger and it seems to solve the problem. I think our hands can swell or unswell (word?) depending on the weather.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:15 AM

This happens to me when I need to cut my fingernail. I'd try the medical tape inside, too, since it has a rough surface. I'
Old 02-07-2017, 04:46 AM

I just wet my finger a dab (lick) I thinks it's the low humidity of winter