Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt As You Go thumbs down >

Quilt As You Go thumbs down

Quilt As You Go thumbs down

Old 02-05-2017, 03:48 PM

Default Quilt As You Go thumbs down

I am just finishing up my first quilt using the QAYG technique. I found it easy to quilt the blocks, which was nice, and relatively easy to join the blocks into rows. But joining the rows was to each otherwas, for me, worse than having the bulk of a quilt and quilting the regular method. I didn't think I should sew without pinning, so I was getting jabbed the whole time. I believe it took more time using the QAYG method as well.
Anybody have a similar experience?
#sorry it didn't work
Old 02-05-2017, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Quilt as you go is a blanket term for lots of different methods. Don't give up until you try other techniques. Sounds like you are joining the quilted blocks directly to each other, which is my least favorite. There are several other methods where the bulk is reduced. some use sashing, others don't. Here are 2 that have recently been posted in our tutorial forum:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...l-t283918.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...l-t285474.html

There is a great book on this topic, Marti Michell's "Machine Quilting in Sections", that covers several methods:
https://www.amazon.com/Marti-Michell...lt+in+sections
Old 02-05-2017, 04:09 PM

I did a 90 in. x 90 in. quilt. I worked with three sections, each one 30 x 90. 30 in. wide is relatively easy to quilt. Then assembled section 1 to section 2: stitched tops together using pins. Then hand-stitched batting after trimming. Then hand-stitched backing. Then section 2 to section 3. For me, it sure beats struggling with a 90 inches wide quilt in a 9 in. harp. There are different QAYG methods. Maybe a different method would work for you.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

​My least favourite part of QAYG is hand stitching the sashing down on the back.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​My least favourite part of QAYG is hand stitching the sashing down on the back.
there are several methods without sashing and/or hand stitching.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:13 PM

PaperPrincess,
That is one fabulous QAYG tutorial! Thank you for calling our attention to it.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by kellyer21 View Post
I am just finishing up my first quilt using the QAYG technique. I found it easy to quilt the blocks, which was nice, and relatively easy to join the blocks into rows. But joining the rows was to each otherwas, for me, worse than having the bulk of a quilt and quilting the regular method. I didn't think I should sew without pinning, so I was getting jabbed the whole time. I believe it took more time using the QAYG method as well.
Anybody have a similar experience?
#sorry it didn't work
If you are fine with quilting the regular method, then quilt as you go may not have any benefit for you. I use Kaye Wood's 6 hour technique all the time, only occasionally using a sashing method. I am not sure there is a time savings but it is easier for me to quilt the small portions than try to manhandle a queen size quilt (which is what I almost always do) in my machine. But what works for me might not work for everyone. No judgment.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I'm with you on this,Tartan--and I did not like trying the machine stitching like the instructor said to do in a class I took--thought it looked bad.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:24 PM

I didn't even do it by hand. Still didn't like this method. I was joining with sashing method.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Quilt as you go is a blanket term for lots of different methods. Don't give up until you try other techniques. Sounds like you are joining the quilted blocks directly to each other, which is my least favorite. There are several other methods where the bulk is reduced. some use sashing, others don't. Here are 2 that have recently been posted in our tutorial forum:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...l-t283918.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...l-t285474.html

There is a great book on this topic, Marti Michell's "Machine Quilting in Sections", that covers several methods:
https://www.amazon.com/Marti-Michell...lt+in+sections
I've used Marti Mitchell's Quilting in Sections and really like it. Yes, I did use pins, but I often use pins to sew and always have so I have no problem with that. There was a bit of hand sewing on the back to finish but I don't mind hand sewing.