Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another way to store fabric >

Another way to store fabric

Another way to store fabric

Old 10-28-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Having had two foot surgeries, my foot doctor and I are well acquainted. Several month ago, I noticed that he'd emptied two "filing" units that were used to store medical folders (his office is going electronic). Many times, in many offices, I have coveted / yearned for / craved / ... one of these units!! When I saw his empty, I screwed up my courage, dreading what the cost might be, and asked if they were for sale??

Yes! They were for sale and at very reasonable prices. Long story short, I have space for only one in my sewing room (although I was tempted to buy the second unit and re-purpose it) so bought only one. _:thumbup: _

Sorry the picture is a bit blurry (hate this camera!). Is this cabinet to die for or what?!! When the fabric is folded using the ruler method, it fits perfectly. At this point, about half of it is folded correctly. The shelving unit to the right (which will be moved shortly) is what I was using but things kept toppling over and, because the shelves are deep, I kept putting other things in front of the fabric which completely defeated being able to see it at a glance. _ :-( _

So, what do you think of my solution??
GREAT ROOM AND GORGEOUS CAT!!!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
GREAT ROOM AND GORGEOUS CAT!!!
Rudy says "thank you kindly, nice lady!" meow
Old 11-03-2010, 05:11 PM

That is great. It's a nice way to organize all your fabric.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:51 PM
pal

Just looked at your photo again. That curtain that is hanging there is the shower curtain that I bought. Am going to "miniaturize" Eleanor Burns's Magic Vine flowers and put a row of them on the shower curtain for a dash of color in a monochromatic color scheme.

Love your idea with the filing cabinet.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:38 AM

I just found some fabric clips at Create For Less. They are called ribbon clips & are on page 8. They look like they would work for this project but look at them carefully. I just glanced at them
Old 11-19-2010, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltin'Lady
This is just terrific! :thumbup:

As for folding your fabric -- I found it saves a LOT of space to fold larger pieces (>1 yd) all the same way. (I tend to fold and store 1/2-yd pieces as if they were FQs.) I can then stack them on a deeper shelf or lay them sideways in plastic bins -- whatever works for the space I have available. I've also gotten religious about folding my FQs all the same way.

Congratulations again. :D
I fold all my material as they were fat quarters except large lengths which I am now folding onto cardboard as shown by one of our friends on this board. It works a treat but is a long time doing it . I have to re-iron each piece of fabric and find enough board to use. I now have the box from a new slimline TV we just bought.