Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 05-23-2012, 05:21 AM

OK, fellow travelers I am working on the challenge and looking into what we have to do post it as ghostrider suggested. Like you guys I have no time or skills but do have a bit of inclination so if it doesn't take more than 5 min a day..... We'll see. So far it looks easy and I have posted a thread 'Art Quilt Challenges Monthly' on the Challenges page which is awaiting moderation. (I may not have the 'status' to post on that board. There is no data on that.)

Anyone got any ideas for a new challenge topic? May is on the way out. What sounds exciting to tackle that you will have some time for?

--------------
Judebug your Q is great as usual and in some of my favorite colors. I am going to have to experiment with more of my thread colours. I do love those metallics. Enjoy those lovely growing days of spring. Getting your hands dirty and growing things is such a good way to stretch your soul after the colder days of winter

Sistadebra enjoy that sister time. It will be of great inspiration later I bet.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
OK, fellow travelers I am working on the challenge and looking into what we have to do post it as ghostrider suggested. Like you guys I have no time or skills but do have a bit of inclination so if it doesn't take more than 5 min a day..... We'll see. So far it looks easy and I have posted a thread 'Art Quilt Challenges Monthly' on the Challenges page which is awaiting moderation. (I may not have the 'status' to post on that board. There is no data on that.)
Status is not an issue, but I'm confused as to why you posted an 'empty' challenge since you said we don't have one for June yet.

As I told Judebug, I have been in contact with Patrice about the guidelines for that section. My suggestion up above was to have a separate thread for each month, however, not all of them lumped together since that's what's happening as it is now and that's how they get lost. Patrice said there's no problem at all with separate monthly challenges, just to let her know when they start and when they stop.

There's also no work or extra knowledge involved...it's just posting a challenge same as has been done three times already in this thread. It might be good to have a few people 'sign up' to choose a challenge for a month of their choice, just so we don't spend a week trying to come up with one every month.

This whole idea is not a big deal at all...I wouldn't have suggested it if I thought it would be a hassle for anyone. I just thought it would make things easier and more visible to those who might like to try something new.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

Although I haven't met any of the challenges, I see this as a fun thing to do. This would definitely broaden my quilting experience and enhance my artistic talent (which BTW is almost zero--so I have much to gain from this!)
Old 05-23-2012, 02:18 PM

I am surrounded by art quilters and fiber artists...I admire their work and find it so inspiring, but have had a rough go of breaking out of my traditional piecing mindset. I decided to try fusing first with a pattern from Laura Wasilowski's "Fanciful Stitches, Colorful Quilts" (also appealing because I love embroidery.) I completed all the fusing in about 2 days and need to finish the handwork.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337563[/ATTACH]

I'm also completely obsessed with Rayna Gillman's work www.raynagillman.com. When I'm trying to work through a "creative block" or need a break from my current projects, I pull out my scrapbag and sew lots and lots of strips together and slice & dice orphaned blocks. This small piece is currently on my design wall and I'm sorta happy with it! I've begun adding some fused bits, beading and decorative stitches, but not sure exactly where it's headed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337564[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   002.jpg  
Old 05-23-2012, 02:26 PM

Thanks for starting this thread! I speak for myself. I find art quilts liberating. There are no rigid rules. It is to the eyes of the beholder, totally your style.
Looking forward to seeing more works here!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:38 PM

Default Art Quilters

Well, I don't know if you would call this "art quilters" or what. It just started out as an idea for a wedding gift -- originating from the bride's college. Although there's a LOT of work in this, it certainly isn't pieced.
I made the pillow shams just from my own judgment/estimates, and it worked out pretty good. My nephew and his bride were very pleased

Jeanette Frantz[ATTACH=CONFIG]337569[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]337570[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]337572[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]337573[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt1.jpg   quilt2.jpg   quilt4.jpg   quilt3.jpg  

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 05-23-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: I think I left off attachments.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KimInTexas View Post
I am surrounded by art quilters and fiber artists...I admire their work and find it so inspiring, but have had a rough go of breaking out of my traditional piecing mindset. I decided to try fusing first with a pattern from Laura Wasilowski's "Fanciful Stitches, Colorful Quilts" (also appealing because I love embroidery.) I completed all the fusing in about 2 days and need to finish the handwork.

I'm also completely obsessed with Rayna Gillman's work www.raynagillman.com. When I'm trying to work through a "creative block" or need a break from my current projects, I pull out my scrapbag and sew lots and lots of strips together and slice & dice orphaned blocks. This small piece is currently on my design wall and I'm sorta happy with it! I've begun adding some fused bits, beading and decorative stitches, but not sure exactly where it's headed.
I love it. I too have a hard time breaking away. I've worked a little with liberated quilting and made the basket following Jean-Sophie Wood at blocksnswaps.blogspot.com for AAQI. I tackled the barn and windmill on my own. It measures about 16 x 24 if I'm not mistaken. It was given as a Doll quilt swap here on QB.
Attached Thumbnails 032-aaqi.jpg   002.jpg  
Old 05-24-2012, 01:31 AM

I have a suggestion for one of our challenges - We do our interpretation of an art painting into a quilt. We can all do the same art piece or chose one of our own. For example “Girl with the Pearl Earring”, “Mona Lisa”, a Picasso or a Bruce Gray. Would be nice to see the different interpretations from the group of the same painting.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 AM

Hi ghostrider and any others interested,

I looked over the section and thought that the method was to post each month's challenge in the challenge section as we came up with it on one thread. I mentioned this month's challenge even though it is the end of the month, and described the direction of the group as best I understand it. Then in post # 2 I was going to put the June challenge. I thought that elsewhere we would be discussing what we are all up to. We can certainly ask for a volunteer to just post the month's challenge on separate challenge threads if that is a more efficient way to do it. I was thinking of one ongoing challenge with each month a fresh message so people could see at a glance the challenge topics past and present in one place. Any ideas of the best way to do this are fine with me.

Last edited by suziehammond; 05-24-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: more data
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 AM

HI everyone. For me, it has been working fine to have us post photos, etc. on this thread.

I have it set up to send me an email when there are new post(s). So I don't find that it gets lost in the myriads of threads on the board and I have also found it easy to send a link inviting others to join us, since all of our subject matter is contained in this thread. Maybe that doesn't work for others. Just thought I would let you know.