Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
MAY Challenge Theme

"THE UNSEEN"

I am fascinated with the parts of life and the world we can't see easily. Cell structures under the microscope. Debris in outer space. Quartz crystals close up. The deep ocean.

Our emotions-- Love? Rage? Hope? Your brain waves. Soothing music. Your EKG spikes... Or anything we don't usually see without stopping to look. What are you feeling this week? What have you seen that is easily missed? Portraying anything in this category in fabric seemed like an interesting idea.

Any type of technique you want to try from the simple and effective heat n' bond applique, to hanging weird bits of yarn off the edges of a psuedo coral, gentle color washes for a gentle dream state, could work here.

Here are a few starter websites for ideas;
http://pinterest.com/smokethatrises/...-is-beautiful/
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2012/0...om/?src=footer

Looking forward to what you all come up with and hoping to see many works you start. Remember that many of us are here with ideas (Both good and bad) to spur you on to try some slightly or wildly different ideas.

Great challenge Suzie! A few weeks ago while watching Blue Planet about the deep ocean life I was quite struck by all of the patterns (quilting, of course) that I could see either with the animal life or the plants. So, I grabbed my camera and took photos of what was on the TV. And your challenge fits right in with what I want to do with those photos. You have got me really thinking now to actually get it intepreted with fabric. Wow. Thanks!

PS: loved the idea of giving lots of stickers to lots of kids. Great result.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:04 AM

SewExtremeSeams; You must watch the same kind of documentaries that I do. I can't wait to see what you get up to with your possible undersea project. There are so many interesting shapes,colors and textures just waiting for your expression. Bet it will be gorgeous and fun. Delighted to have stirred that impulse to expand your process and get moving on it.

Since you have so generously 'exposed' you possible intentions....laying yourself open to us asking that Question, 'What happened to that undersea Quilt?" I will likewise tell you what I am thinking of tackling so I am open to being prodded as well.

I had to have an MRI done of my skull lately and when I got the CD I went through them all and wondered if that wouldn't make a good B&W art Q that depends on texture w/ soft shades of color here and there. Now, that I am out in the open I will get to the perils and delights of making choices and seeing if I can make anything come to life that I am happy with.

For you lurkers: I think often there are great ideas that you don't know how to bring to life. But that is part of the fun of discovering both what doesn't work at all like you thought it would and the other projects that come together with only an idea but without a plan, just experimentation. The latter often seems to bring out Q's that amaze me and it can be embarrassing to have people ask how you ever thought of it. "Um, I didn't think, it just happened," doesn't satisfy many people as an answer. So I hope to see lots of you like Linda coming up with goodies for us all to learn from.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM

I did a series for our church centennial and another commission piece. There are several in my mind when I can find time to create them.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I would like to try an artsy quilt but I only do traditional quilts. When I think of artsy, I think of $$. I think you need to buy new supplies and tools. I can draw very well, but the closet I come to artsy is applique. And I don't machine or really hand quilt. But I think if I did a 16"x16" block and just used fabric and thread and buttons, I could make something. Would that be considered artsy? If I used Mistyfuse? Or would it just be applique? I could machine quilt a block that size...make it look like water or grass or something. I know there are no rules, but there needs to be something that says if it's artsy or traditional, right? I'm such a chicken that I've only used patterns except on my backings...then I get creative. I wish I were more like the rest of you.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I would like to try an artsy quilt but I only do traditional quilts. When I think of artsy, I think of $$. I think you need to buy new supplies and tools. I can draw very well, but the closet I come to artsy is applique. And I don't machine or really hand quilt. But I think if I did a 16"x16" block and just used fabric and thread and buttons, I could make something. Would that be considered artsy? If I used Mistyfuse? Or would it just be applique? I could machine quilt a block that size...make it look like water or grass or something. I know there are no rules, but there needs to be something that says if it's artsy or traditional, right? I'm such a chicken that I've only used patterns except on my backings...then I get creative. I wish I were more like the rest of you.
Hi Jeanne, I bet you have more artsy in you than you realize!!! How about pretending (if that helps) that you are working on the back of a 16" x 16" block and do something with the tools you have on hand that is slightly out of the norm for you. From what I have read on here, we all come in different shapes and with different talents.

Personally, I find that other's work usually clicks something in me and that helps me get going. That's also why we all like it when others post photos of what they are trying. If I am not mistaken, an artsy quilt doesn't have to stand up to wear n' tear nor washings, so you could use some things that will work for art on the wall! Sew, you can use yarns, acrylic paints, whatever to add whatever you might want to do. Please someone jump in here and correct me if I am wrong.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 PM

Suziehammond, (gulp), I didn't think of making myself accoutable but you are quite right~~ it will help me. I have not met one of the challenges as yet. Trying to get the nerve to experiment. Your challenge hit me just right. Thank you so much. We all need a boost, huh?

Had to laugh about your idea of using your MRI to create something. YOu are right, though, that could make for some interesting shapes. I have many of those CDs from my own MRIs in my filing cabinet. See, Jeanne, we each spark ideas in each other. I would never have thought of that one my own... I think!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:27 PM

My blood is pumping, my heart is racing and I couldn't be happier with the excitement, questions, dialogue, suggestions and willingness to come out and PLAY that is occurring on this thread. I want to thank everyone who is contributing with the growth here - whether you are asking for clarity, making a suggestion, sharing your experiences or posting photos. We are all learning together and I LOVE that no one is an expert here. We have much to share and learn when we communicate ideas.

Suzie, thanks ever so much for a wonderful challenge this month! My 'unseen' brain cells are firing.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:25 AM

Default Artsy Quilt definition

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
You know I think a lot of us get detoured by this idea of 'Art' being some other more hallowed form of quilting that is almost unreachable for mortals. For me though I would bet my last 10cents every single lurker on here is already an art quilter. You experiment with size, color, texture, pattern, etc... rarely actually controlling any of those very well and THAT results in a quilt that makes people feel something. In other words 'art'.

Art is merely a manner of communicating and sometimes even the communication is unclear to the maker or the viewer. I think for me it is "ART" when I look at a quilt and feel something in my heart or even better perhaps deep in my soul a little chime responds and I want to look again. Of course that point is very different for all of us depending on who we are. So what is art to one leaves another person indifferent.

Perhaps you as the block maker want to create the feeling of the quiet movement of the grass or water. For me gentle curves sewn or appliqued in the colors you feel portray that would be my start. I'll bet your imagination will get going as you play with ideas and whatever is in your stash----go for it! I can't wait to see what happens here.

It is perfectly OK to use a pattern you like or a part one for an 'art Q'. Your use of color, embellishment etc make it yours and hopefully it will communicate some of the ideas you have in your head.

Don't allow someone else to determine what touches your heart, create it for yourself when you can, and enjoy it when you find it in other works.

Love this thread and the way so many people are attempting to define and try this 'new' and possibly scary kind of quilting. Can't wait to see what discussions and photos of WIP get on the board.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
Sistadebra----

sistadebra------------oooh! Very nice. The kite fliers are inventive as usual. Such fun and movement.

Is there going to be color added to the B&W? Just curious.

Love to see what you are up to next.
Yes, color will be added, it's still on the design wall talking to me but I can't hear it.. lol
Old 05-04-2012, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by sistahdebbra View Post
Yes, color will be added, it's still on the design wall talking to me but I can't hear it.. lol
That's because it is a very soft color