Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Use that Stash!  Fabric Moratorium >

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-29-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
I started this "fabric Moratorium" last year and believe it or not, I did not buy any fabric from the fabric store and only purchased a few small yardage pieces at garage sales. I am going to make it this year and will probably do the same next year. Now, the funny thing is, I can't see my stash going down much at all, but I will keep using on it.
I joined this as well and stuck with it pretty closely although I did buy a couple of harvest prints and Christmas prints for making craft sale items and recently purchased some 'ironing boad cover' fabric for use in potholders. Other than that I've only purchased iron on fusible fleece, 2 bolts of iron on interfacing for $2.99 per bolt (Black Friday) and some flannel for a heating pad cover my friend wanted me to replace as she's worn hers out (Black Friday)! I've been trying to 'organize' my fabric and am discovering some fabrics I didn't even remember I had!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 AM

i'm happy to swap or trade or bargain, whatever, but i'm afraid i may have succumbed to the buying monster already. i found a " your connecting threads order has been shipped" notice in my e-mail. i don't know what i've bought. i think i may be 'sleep buying'. oooooo, not good!
i can't put the money in a jar, because first of all i use my debit card, and secondly, i can't be trusted with money. it causes a chemical reaction in me that makes me buy. i stayed home on all the black and cyber days to avoid the stores, and they are now sneaking in any way. i am doomed! i will un-sub from all the stores i hear from on line, that is a wonderful idea. and i will send dh to jo-ann's when i need needles or something non-fabric he can't mistake for something else. i'm getting chills already! i'd better go buy a sweater.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 AM

It's time to start this when you buy the same batik twice because you lose track of what's in your stash. January can't come soon enough.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

I can't do a "moratorium" - tried it in 2012, and while I did use a bunch of stash, the call of the LQS was too strong for me. lol I did buy some pretties. What I can do though is cut back and continue to mix the existing with the new.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 AM

I use my debit card as well. I just figured I'd take the cash out and stick it in the jar. The withdrawal will show up and hubby will want to know what it was for. He'll keep me honest on that with the checking up. Usually it is rare for me to make a withdrawal and my shop or online purchases show up on the statement or when he checks the account online. He is as ready for this challenge as I am-LOL!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 AM

I am in!! I am definitely in!!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:15 PM

I'm in (again). This will be the fourth year in a row for me. And, I think I've held to it. I even went to Lancaster twice and didn't buy anything. The only time I bought fabric was for a commission (she paid) and for a wedding gift (we'd have had to spend the money anyway and the quilt was gorgeous--IMHO). My first projects for the coming year are to use up my scraps. I have my scrap bin in manageable shape now. I even piece my backings to avoid buying fabric; it makes the quilt double=sided.

Laurie
Old 11-29-2012, 11:03 PM

i will have to buy batting and thread, but i think i can stick to what i have, or offer trades and swaps. i'm really set to do this! i think i'll leave the money in the bank, and just write the amount down, reduced by 75%. i consider it my husband's health insurance policy. if he only knows about 25% of what i was spending, then he won't have a heart attack and die!
i hope!!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bonnie919 View Post
I would like to join this. This is my first time posting and not sure how it works.
Bonnie
Bonnie, Just wanted to say welcome! Glad you joined us! This is a great place.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 AM

Now, Nancia, that's a great idea!!!