Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Use that Stash!  Fabric Moratorium >

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 PM

can we swap stash on this web site. like-- i need dk green with white, small scale. and members post what they have and then trade for what they need.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
if you won't tell my husband, i'll join. i don't want him to know i'm not buying fabric, because he might try to convince me to put a moratorium on clothes, too. or purses. or tea pots--oh yeah, (head hanging down) i've already blown that one, it was this really cute rabbit and matching....well, you know what i mean!
What he doesn't know, won't hurt him!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM

Heaven help me, I am just getting started on a stash....lol

Bug

Last edited by Ladibug; 11-26-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 AM

I did quite well last year. 2011 was a BIG year for fabric buying. I discovered online discount sites with quilt shop fabric.

We are moving in a couple of days to Phoenix and I had to pack up my entire sewing room. I have a nice sized stash but not a ridiculous one. I make a great number of Quilts Of Valor so will buy blue or red when it is a good price--not online. And never more than 1 yard as I like scrappy. Often one yard is the minimum for sale fabric.

I did unsub myself to lots of fabric sites and that really helped. When I saw those great prices I was sorely tempted. It is like having candy in the house. If I see it I might eat it. I try very hard to support my local shop but only sale fabric.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 AM

I like this idea - keep my name in mind if you want to swap.

can we swap stash on this web site. like-- i need dk green with white, small scale. and members post what they have and then trade for what they need.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
I did quite well last year. 2011 was a BIG year for fabric buying. I discovered online discount sites with quilt shop fabric.

We are moving in a couple of days to Phoenix and I had to pack up my entire sewing room. I have a nice sized stash but not a ridiculous one. I make a great number of Quilts Of Valor so will buy blue or red when it is a good price--not online. And never more than 1 yard as I like scrappy. Often one yard is the minimum for sale fabric.

I did unsub myself to lots of fabric sites and that really helped. When I saw those great prices I was sorely tempted. It is like having candy in the house. If I see it I might eat it. I try very hard to support my local shop but only sale fabric.
I think you are on to something. I cancelled or deleted all newsletters from quilt stores. It is a lot easier to not buy if you don't know what is on sale. I also don't go to fabric stores. I know that if I go into the store, I will buy!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 AM

so, after signing up yesterday for the moratorium I stopped by the quilt shop where I work and my boss tells me how grateful she is that I've worked there now for three years and she gave me a raise AND increased my employee discount!!!!!! I'm DOOMED!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
so, after signing up yesterday for the moratorium I stopped by the quilt shop where I work and my boss tells me how grateful she is that I've worked there now for three years and she gave me a raise AND increased my employee discount!!!!!! I'm DOOMED!
Isn't that how it always goes? I think it would be hard enough to work in a quilt shop and be on a fabric diet but to get an even better employee discount and a raise - - - The owner is the Devil in disguise!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 AM

I was just telling my husband that I was thinking of joining you all and what the rules are. Funny thing is, he said the same thing about swapping fabric as it would keep us from buying but allow us to get something new that we don't have w/o having to buy it. Maybe I will join you all. I know that I NEED a break from fabric shopping!! I am a fabric junkie/hoarder!!! This would def keep me in check.

I also told him that I thought that maybe I'd keep a jar(like a swear jar) and when I wanted to buy fabric I'd put that $$ into the jar. Like if this fabric was $10/yd and I wanted a yd, I'd put $10 in the jar. Then at the end of the moratorium I could see what I've saved and buy something like a new machine or some tool/book I've been wanting! Who knows? Okay, sign me up!!!
Tanya
Old 11-27-2012, 01:28 PM

I have been trying to use up my stash with quilts for my kids and their cousins. I have bought some for a black and white quilt (I had no black, white or grey) and I just bought some things for a border for a couple but I have been using up the stash. I have made at least 3 so far with my stash and I have enough for 9 more.

Then I have to work on my BOMs that I have been collecting