April - Boom 18

Old 05-12-2017, 11:58 AM

When it's over, hope you'll let us know how you are doing. (Couldn't you have found an easier way to get time off from work?)
Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
My sinus surgery is finally scheduled a week from today. I will be off work a minimum of 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll get some quilting finished while I'm off. I don't expect to get much done the first week, but hopefully by the second week I'll be up to doing some quilting. I won't be able to get distracted w/ yard / garden work so we'll see.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:06 PM

I've got a proud moment to share with you. My eldest son is graduating this weekend with a doctorate in physical therapy. He went back to school and did the starving student route after working in his original field, biology, for almost 10 years. Three years of hard work, including classes and numerous clinicals for a year, one in Thailand no less, and a brutal board exam, and he's finally accomplishing his goal. I'm so very proud of him. I'm one happy mom!
Old 05-12-2017, 01:09 PM

Congratulations to your son! That's totally awesome! Hard work really does pay off!
Old 05-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Kass, hope that surgery helps you a lot. Do let us know how it goes.

Marietta, hope your MRI is easy for you. I was in the 'clanking tube' for 25 minutes but at least they let me go in feet first. I always ask for a small towel to cover my eyes so I don't see the inside of the tube. That makes it much easier for me. Hope all turns out well.

Today the dr.s office called with my MRI results and I missed the call! By the time I saw it, their office was closed. So I'll have to wait til Monday to find out. I'm sure I'm going to get a referral to a spine clinic.

Janice, I know you must be so proud of your son, The Doctor! Congrats to him and you both. Awesome!

Hey, I have been playing with a Row by Row kit I had. It's a 2015 kit and I bought it last year to make as a wall hanging for my fisherman son. Just got it done. Take a look:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]573004[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]573005[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]573006[/ATTACH]

I love the fish!
Attached Thumbnails img_2208-small-.jpg   img_2209-small-.jpg   img_2210-small-.jpg  
Old 05-12-2017, 06:20 PM

Congrats Janice!!!! I bet you are over the moon proud.

Marietta and Sewbiz and others hope your recent health issues are easy to fix and mild.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

Had the pre op appt today was in Tulsa all day did some shopping, found some awesome deals. A plant clearance where I got African and Gerber daisies for only $1 each, we have clothing store called NBC that sells discounted new clothes, I got Gary a nice suit, 4 dress shirts, a pair of dress slacks, 3 work pants, a nice thick hoodie, and me a skirt for $65 total. I also went to Joannes and got the orange varigated thread I wanted to quilt Summer Citrus while I am recooping from surgery, and found a cool fabric to make Gary some new neck ties (magenta sparkles and black butterflies) So a looooooong but productive day.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:24 PM

I am at campground and internet is spotty this year going to try and respond to all

Marietta good luck on your MRI, SewBiz glad you are done with yours and hope the results are what you are hoping for.

Kass sending best wishes for your surgery and a quick recovery. Please keep us updated.

Janice thank you for sharing your wonderful news with us. You should be a very proud Mama. Congratulations
Old 05-12-2017, 09:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post

Had the pre op appt today was in Tulsa all day did some shopping, found some awesome deals. A plant clearance where I got African and Gerber daisies for only $1 each, we have clothing store called NBC that sells discounted new clothes, I got Gary a nice suit, 4 dress shirts, a pair of dress slacks, 3 work pants, a nice thick hoodie, and me a skirt for $65 total. I also went to Joannes and got the orange varigated thread I wanted to quilt Summer Citrus while I am recooping from surgery, and found a cool fabric to make Gary some new neck ties (magenta sparkles and black butterflies) So a looooooong but productive day.
Kass: Wow... professional shopper there! Love plant sales... clothing, not so much. You did great, tho, finding all that stuff in one day.

Terri, have fun camping! Do you sew when you go camping? I'd have to take at least some hand quilting or embroidery.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:33 AM

Oh how could I forget to comment on that amazing fishing wall hanging. It is awesome, that fish fabric it perfect!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:57 AM

I agree SewBiz, wonderful row robin. Yes I bring Embroidery and keep a sewing machine here all summer. Trying not to sew this weekend my arms and shoulders are still stressed from to much quilting on Tuesday

My lilacs are blooming away here, I have white, lavender and several dark purples. Love them but can't cut any blooms and bring inside. Lilacs and Ash tree's are number 1 and 2 on my allergy list 👎
Old 05-13-2017, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the lovely comments. I am over the moon. It's lovely.

LOVE the fish. Great job, Sewbiz. It's so very realistic.

Marietta, good luck on the MRI. Sewbiz's idea of the cloth is good, or perhaps an eye pillow of some sort.

Terriamn, your lilacs! My grandmother had them in her yard in NJ. They were gigantic or at least they were to an 8 year old. And the fragrance was unforgettable. Every time I hear or see the word lilac or smell them, I think of her. And today is the anniversary of her death, and she's been on my mind all day. But happy thoughts! Very happy thoughts. She was exactly the kind of grandmother I'd like to be one day.

Kass, what a haul! Good for you!

So, now a minor (major?) problem. I'm working on those boom blocks from 14 I think, and I detest the sashing I bought! I loved it with the blocks in the store but not now. Does this happen to you all much? I had originally planned to QAYG but this time add 3 inch sashing and border simply to try a new technique as well as to increase the size of the quilt. It's only 3x4 12 inch blocks. The sashing and border would have brought it up to approx 48 by 63. But now I hate the color. I cannot decide whether to just do it anyway for the experience or start fussing around with the color and size. I'm inclined to set it aside but since that's a bad pattern of mine I'm trying to break, I might just go ahead with it on the premise that nothing's perfect and this really is another practice quilt. Suggestions? Btw, 6 blocks are quilted and the remaining ones are sandwiched.