Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • JC Penney sold fabric? >
  • JC Penney sold fabric?

• JC Penney sold fabric?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:12 PM

I bought a lot of fabric from Penneys. I remember when you could go into almost any clothing store (even the higher priced stores) & get fabric. Back then they sold candy, nuts, wrapping paper, cards,etc. I remember being able to buy fabric through the mid-70's but not sure how much later.
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:18 PM

Penneys sold fabrics in the early 50's because I used to buy it there four yards for $1.00, pretty decent stuff, to make dresses for my daughters.

They offer custom curtains so maybe it's a remnant from that.

what a nice trip down memory lane. used to love to go to Penneys with my mom. thats where we had to buy our school gym clothes too!
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 PM

I know the last time I bought fabric from JC Penny was in 1983, I was making a graduation quilt. I dont know when they stopped carrying fabric because right after I made the quilt I had cancer and a couple really bad years and wasnt out buying fabric. I sure miss all the stores and selection of fabrics we used to have.
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 PM

I graduated in '71 and Penney's had tons of fabric to choose from. I bought remnants to make my kids their clothes for years. It was the best fabric around. They stopped selling it in our are when they actually moved into a smaller building.....late 80's or early 90's here.
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:39 PM

I graduated in '71 and Penney's had tons of fabric to choose from. I bought remnants to make my kids their clothes for years. It was the best fabric around. They stopped selling it in our are when they actually moved into a smaller building.....late 80's or early 90's here.
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:49 PM

Me too.
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:54 PM

Oh, wow. I remember buying fabric at Penney's, sears, "Monkey Wards. Funny thing is, I don't remember when they stopped. Just now realized, hey, they don't any more!
    I live in a fairly small town. When I first got married, there were both a Penney's and a Sears in our town. They both moved to a mall halfway between our town and the next (about 1975?), then when a larger mall opened in the town 30 miles away (1990?), they both moved there. I believe both stopped carrying fabric when they moved to the 1st mall. Memories, memories
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:55 PM

All the big department stores had a fabric department.. It was great fun to go looking for fabric for a new dress or summer outfit.. they had fabric, notions, patterns, sewing machines.. and people who knew how to sew and could help you.. it was so nice.

And remnents, oh my.. You could buy a remnent that was a small piece, or you could find pieces with a few yards in them.. Most of my school clothes were made from remnents.. and when they cut fabric for you, they always overcut so that you could straighten your yardage without coming up short.. Now they cut it any old way and you had better add on enough to make sure you have enough after you've straightened it..

The whole world was different then. Companies cared that their customers were given value and service, they wanted your business and they wanted a good name. We live in a different world now.