April - Boom 18

Old 05-13-2017, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Janice, who is the quilt for? If it's for you or staying in your house, you had better find another fabric you like for sashing. Or how about sewing the blocks together without any sashing, and adding a wider border to the outside? Listen to you heart and if you hate it, don't use it. I ignored that little voice when I made Bonnie Hunter's En Provence. Just went with her colors even tho I knew I didn't like purple and magenta. Tried to let it grow on me but I really can't stand the quilt. I wish I had done all that work in some colors I liked better.

When something doesn't feel right in quilting, it isn't going to get better by just pushing through. I know you can come up with something you like better.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:13 PM

Love your quilt Libster! Your quilt turned out great.

Janice I'm so happy for you & your son. Lots of hard work for a Doctorate degree! You must be so proud of him.

I hope your surgery goes well Kass. I've only had a sinus infection once & it was the worst ever. I think I blew my nose every 2 seconds. Wish you the best!
Old 05-13-2017, 04:27 PM

Janice, I know how proud of your son you are! Congratulations to him for a fantastic accomplishment. You have a right to bust a button or two.
Kass, I'll be sending good thoughts your way for your surgery. Hope all goes well and you heal fast.
Ladies, thanks for the compliments on Sara's quilt. Your beautiful blocks made putting it together such a pleasure. She loves it.
Sewbiz, I love fishing, so that RxR is perfect! Fantastic applique, well done! I love everything about it.
Hey, anybody getting ready for Boom 19? I bought fabric for my future granddaughter-in-law. I plan to make hers for Christmas. She loves pink, so I've bought shades from raspberry to white with very pale pink shadowy markings on it. I plan to use burgundy for the sashing. Just a heads up, I'm thinking lighter shades of matching, small print or TOT, pink than I'll be sending. Just think feminine patterns. Looking forward to June!
Old 05-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

I've been power piecing today... and ran into the same 'no right fabric' dilemma as Janice. I looked at all my yards and yards of fabric and was actually considering running out to the store for something else! Then I realized I could use some natural colored Dream Cotton I had and it would work well, so that's what I did. On to the next project, some crazy Stack the Deck work, and tried to put my 16 huge blocks together into a top... only to find the sashing I had cut was all 1" too short! Ruler error, apparently. Back when I cut it, guess I didn't measure twice. Tore up the house looking for that fabric and was just about to admit defeat when I spotted it on the shelf, squished in between two other little comic book board 'bolts'. Luckily there was enough to cut again.

I have so many loose ends in my quilting world! I'd love to get some started stuff wrapped up, so I can move on to new ideas. But... do you ever feel like you have to jump on those new ideas or you may forget them? That's why I have so many UFOs.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
Hey, anybody getting ready for Boom 19? I bought fabric for my future granddaughter-in-law. I plan to make hers for Christmas. She loves pink, so I've bought shades from raspberry to white with very pale pink shadowy markings on it. I plan to use burgundy for the sashing. Just a heads up, I'm thinking lighter shades of matching, small print or TOT, pink than I'll be sending. Just think feminine patterns. Looking forward to June!
Yikes... June is just around the corner! And we get to do another Boom or two! Yaaaaaay. I'm almost caught up with Boom quilts. Just have my blocks from my local swap to finish. That's going to be a pretty one just for me.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Today was a 4 bobbin sewing day..had to stop and rewind the empty spools so Ill have them ready for another day.
Janice...that is wonderful about your son..Isnt it wonderful to have them be successful! MRI'S and I dont get along..esp when Im in pain and they want you to lay still in a torture chamber when you are listening to loud pops..hope I never have to have another one. What a way to get to stay home and sew...hope the surgery goes good Kass. Sew I like the fish hanging...my grandson LOVES the fish quilt you all made for him, esp the one with his name on it!
About finished with March Boom...havent started on April yet..trying to finish up a couple of other quilts I had already started....sewing right along and then I stiched my finger in the machine....damn that hurts! First time Ive ever done that in my life and I hope the last!! HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL OF YOU!!
Old 05-13-2017, 05:33 PM

Janice, how about the reverse side of the fabric, will it work? Can you post pics of it w/ a few blocks?
Old 05-13-2017, 05:35 PM

Oh and yes I have my boom fabric for June already. It is white background w/ line drawn flowers (think coloring book drawn flowers) only the lines that make the flowers are in all kinds of bright happy colors.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

Ouch, Joan! I have sewn my finger several times in my life, even once piercing all the way through. Sewing machines are powerful! Don't underestimate the damage you can do to fingers with your rotary cutters, either. Chopped off a fingertip once... but some good xeroform gauze dressing (infused with vaseline and iodine) helped it graft back on. Sewing is not for wimps, huh?

Kass, your fabric sounds pretty and happy and fun! I have bought a couple of pieces to use but not sure if I will send those next time, or something else. So many choices!

Have a happy Mother's Day, all you mamas...
Old 05-14-2017, 02:11 AM

Good morning, All. Happy Mothers' Day!