April - Boom 18

Old 05-15-2017, 04:49 PM

Depends on the quality of the muslin Joan. I've never used it on a quilt but I have for table runners or wall hangings. I think the price I paid was about $4 a yard....hope that helps
Old 05-15-2017, 05:10 PM

Sorry I'm no help haven't used muslin.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

I've used it and a lot of the ladies in my quilting group use it. The trick is to get the premium muslin, the stuff that feels like real fabric but softer, like a sheet. I like it.

Since you are finding the piece you bought too thin, Joan, try washing it in hot water on a long cycle, to get it to shrink. It will thicken up somewhat when shrunk. It may turn out to be fine.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:37 AM

Muslim quality varies a great deal. I've got a gorgeous piece I bought at an LQS many years ago. It's definitely worthy of being used in blocks, not just on the back. I also have a few smaller pieces that are poor quality. I love Muslim and may finally use my good piece as a constant on a scrappy quilt I plan for the future. (But I must finish a couple of UFOs first.).
Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
Has anyone used muslim on the backing of a quilt? I bought some backing 108" got home laid it out with the top and it was about 18" too narrow...Went to a meeting at the Lake of the ozarks today and our headquarters is rigt in front of a Joanns so went in to get another yard..NONE matching so I bought 3 yards of 120" muslim...Got home and put it on the top and you could see every single color and seam of the back of the top..hated it...so its back to Joanns in Columbia to hope they have some more of the lst one I bought...At least the 50-60% off coupons saved me from doing too much bad words...but now I have 120" of white muslim to store..ugh..I had NO idea muslim was that thin!
Old 05-16-2017, 03:43 AM

Just heard from Seasaw2mch. She's hanging in there, sense of humor intact. She's got some help with her quilting so she's happy about that. She doesn't get on her laptop too often as it's uncomfortable for her but she does write the occasional email. She asked to be remembered to all of you.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
Just heard from Seasaw2mch. She's hanging in there, sense of humor intact. She's got some help with her quilting so she's happy about that. She doesn't get on her laptop too often as it's uncomfortable for her but she does write the occasional email. She asked to be remembered to all of you.
Bless her heart. Praying for her. So sorry she is going through all this.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:42 AM

So good to know Seasaw is doing good. I miss her being in the swaps. Thanks for all the tips on the muslim. It seemed like good fabric in the store but when I got it home and unfolded it and put it on the quilt I was NOT impressed. I make a lot of table runners so I might use it for that or wall hangings but definitely NOT for the back of a quilt...so much for trying to save money!! LOL I will try the hot water and see if that helps!! Don't have a dryer so might take it to my DIL and have her dry it too! Thanks again!!
Old 05-16-2017, 08:01 AM

GREAT to hear that Seasaw is hanging in there. Perhaps a cure can be found.... In the meantime, quilting is always relaxing. Quilting is my fishing. Hubby fishes, I quilt. If I still lived in Montana, I would be fly fishing and quilting. Sitting waiting for a bite is not peaceful for me. Please pass on my love and admiration to her.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 AM

I've got a proud moment to share with you. My eldest son is graduating this weekend with a doctorate in physical therapy. He went back to school and did the starving student route after working in his original field, biology, for almost 10 years. Three years of hard work, including classes and numerous clinicals for a year, one in Thailand no less, and a brutal board exam, and he's finally accomplishing his goal. I'm so very proud of him. I'm one happy mom!
OUTSTANDING!!! I bet being in Thailand was great fun, too. Congratulations to all of you. It isn't easy watching your kids trying to succeed.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:10 AM

Here's a pic of some blocks with the fabric. [ATTACH=CONFIG]573112[/ATTACH] Only a few of the blocks here are quilted and nothing is fully trimmed. So today, I like the green much better. The idea is a three inch sashing between blocks and the same width border. While I don't LOVE it, I no longer hate it. It's growing on me. I think I was too critical yesterday. (It's been kind of a bad week all around other than DS graduating.) Anyway, it'll be 3x4 blocks. I'm now inclined to move forward with this green. If I start backtracking, it'll sit in the UFO pile for eons. what do you think? Btw, if I ask that, I'm asking for honest answers. If I didn't want the truth, I wouldn't ask. Keep in mind, my goal isn't to love this quilt. It's to like it and to learn from it.

Thanks!
Lovely squares. If you hate the green, go with a high quality muslin to match the whites in your blue and white fabric. :-)