April - Boom 18

Old 05-17-2017, 06:17 AM

I'm still using my first laptop, a toshiba. Have had it about five years. It's a workhorse. Only had to replace the battery which I upgraded to a larger one giving me a lot more working time. I'd buy another.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the input. I liked my leveno, but while under warranty there was an issue, sent it to repair and they couldn't get parts!
So today I met my mom at Aldi's (grocery store ) .she had her cane when we walked in and misplaced it in the store. Up and down the aisles to no avail. Got a call later. She hooked it onto someone else cart and they didn't notice until they checked out. Fun times!
So I came home, made a large pan of Mac n cheese ( using heavy cream and extra cheese) and invited all the neighbors over for potluck. Just what I needed.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:32 PM

TG, sounds like an interesting day. Glad the Dane turned up and you were able to share a meal with neighbor's.

My sister cut out 6 tops for my front porch cushions and I sewed them together. Very weird sewing with a 5/8" seam. Looked enormous and I put a zipper in each one. First zipper as wayyyyy bad, second one was bad and then they were ok. For some reason almost always when inserting zippers I get a lump of fabric at the bottom of the zipper.
Zippers for bottom cushions will be here Friday. With two of us working together the project is going pretty darn fast.

Tomorrow is a Mother's Day celebration where Mom lives and she agreed to go. Great seeing Mom, BIL and sister, it's been 5 months since I was here, way to long.

Hope to go to the local quilt shop tomorrow. ��
Old 05-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

TG, had to laugh about the cane story. Aren't mothers precious? Glad she didn't lose it, tho.

Terri, enjoy your family time. How is your BIL doing, by the way?

Well, I get to take the big T shirt quilt I made for someone and quilt it on my friend's longarm machine tomorrow. I always get nervous before using that thing. This is the friend who usually spoils me by loading the quilt for me ahead of time... but no such luck for tomorrow. I'll be learning how to load a quilt. Most quilts I quilt on my own machine, but it doesn't like T shirt quilts. I think all that knit bogs down the timing.

Tomorrow's nemesis...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]573302[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2123-small-.jpg  
Old 05-18-2017, 02:48 AM

Awesome thirty quilt. I have made a few and QAYG. Stretch material is the pits.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:39 AM

Janice love your blocks, Congrats on son's doctorate What an accomplishment.

TG so glad your mom found her cane.

Good luck and speedy recovery on your surgery tomorrow Kass.

Sewbiz love your RxR, and did you ever get results from your MRI?

ibex94 thanks for the gris gris

Got results from my MRI yesterday, herniated disc couple of other things, going over my options.

Trying to make up my mind about next boom, How do ya'l feel about some of you maybe working with same fabric as on a previous boom? (like Janice I wouldn't ask if I didn't want an honest answer and It won't discourage me if you all say you hate it )
I have so much fabric and except for the fabric for my friends quilt, there isn't enough yardage in any one line to send for a boom. Right now I just can't justify buying fabric to send out for blocks I may or may not ever make a quilt for. sorry typing out loud here, lol
Old 05-18-2017, 10:14 AM

Marietta, I'm fine with anything you want to send! I sometimes use the same fabric because I don't have enough blocks to make the size I need! Its almost June and I have NO idea what I'm going to use.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

Marietta,
Sorry about your disc. I did that 10 years ago and I think the disc all but disappeared. They say now I have bone-on-bone, but I haven't heard that from a spine dr. yet-- just from my FNP reading the MRI results. I wonder if they could put an artificial disc in you? I waited too long and now the bones have moved together. Bummer. thanks for asking about my MRI. Waiting to get in at the spine clinic....

I don't have a problem with making a block for you with previously used fabric. Sometimes you have to do that in order to get enough blocks for a bigger quilt.

Speaking of quilts, I took my T shirt quilt to my friend's house and quilted it today. Ugh. What an ordeal. Even a longarm balked at sewing T shirts. That stuff stretched like crazy, even on a long arm, and I had to quilt around so much PLASTIC and silkscreen. I just hate quilting T shirt quilts. I think next time I am going to charge enough to PAY for professional longarm quilting. Definitely.

I knew it was going to be bad.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:11 PM

No problem here with using the same fabric. To me that is what the Booms are about, to make a quilt you'd like to have and the size you want. If you need more blocks then send it out. And my old forgetfulness, I probably won't know you already used it anyway
sewbiz, don't know what you used, but that t-shirt quilt should not stretch once you get those blocks done and the quilt sewn together for quilting. I have made several and really have never had that problem. Did you back all of your t-shirt fabric with a iron on stabilizer? That is a must do for sure.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:21 PM

Thanks Marietta, hope they are able to fix your disk problem.

Sewbiz I've never done a tee shirt quilt sorry you had such issues, but it didn't kill you so you got stronger!!!! lol lol lol Hoping the dr has a better report on your mri

Oh and fabric whatever you send is fine w/ me I have no issues working w/ the same again.