Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use a leader when you piece? >

Do you use a leader when you piece?

Do you use a leader when you piece?

Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
here's my leaders and enders..
I use leaders and enders scraps but I rarely plan ahead like this! I am going to DO THIS! So productive!

Also, a point that hasn't been mentioned. My DH mentioned that he wasn't vacuuming up threads that got all caught up in the brushes anymore. So I showed him my little thread filled squares (I call them my "tractors," have no idea why.) that were stopping all that. He was impressed!

Another thing, anytime my machines have been in the shop, they've returned with a piece of fabric under the presser foot. I like the idea of leaving a scrap under the foot when I shut down. In other words, my ender becomes my leader scrap for my next day's sewing. It probably doesn't affect the machine but that little ender under the foot makes me feel pretty professional! LOL!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Always, but I use squares that I sew together to make scrappy quilts.
Now that's being organized. Really like your idea.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:51 AM

I always use a leader but I didn't know that's what it was called.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:41 AM

I am going to start. I was making travel bags/make up bags yesterday and it kept wanting to eat my threads. So I will be using one from now on. Never had a problem before, but,....
Old 08-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

Oh wow! I will say this is what I learned today. What a wonderful thing to know! Thanks a bunch of patches! I can't wait to start useing this trick!
peace
Old 08-22-2011, 02:58 PM

Always. My machine likes to eat fabric!!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:41 PM

i chain too, but to start off, i bring the end threads back up to the top and hold while i start. if it tries to bunch up i pull the thread out longer then pull the thread while i start to sew and it won't bunch
Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 PM

I have never used a leader. However, I have learned a trick since the first quilting class I took. When you wind your bobbin, do so slowly. What I mean by that is not the fasted that you can wind it. If the fastest was 100%, if you wind it at a speed of 60-75%, you will probably never have issues with your bobbin thread again! I'm not kidding you! Since I relaxed my speed of winding, I've not had a problem! I'm going on ~8 years of no bobbin problems!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
I have never used a leader. However, I have learned a trick since the first quilting class I took. When you wind your bobbin, do so slowly. What I mean by that is not the fasted that you can wind it. If the fastest was 100%, if you wind it at a speed of 60-75%, you will probably never have issues with your bobbin thread again! I'm not kidding you! Since I relaxed my speed of winding, I've not had a problem! I'm going on ~8 years of no bobbin problems!
Wow...I never thought about the speed you wind the bobbin causing problems....I will give your method a try...since I sew on only older machines, I will be interested to see how this works....thanks for the tip :thumbup:
Old 08-22-2011, 06:59 PM

When I think of it. If there is a problem I think of it.