• Main
  • CHRISTMAS CLUB IDEA >
  • CHRISTMAS CLUB IDEA

• CHRISTMAS CLUB IDEA

Old 08-20-2010, 06:41 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Peggerly
    One year I made 6-inch paper pieced angel blocks, quilted them onto a navy blue sweatshirt (to look like the night sky) and bordered them with decorative braid. On some I experimented with lace for the angel's wings which was quite beautiful. Unfortunately, I have given them all away, but I will ask my mother to dig out the one I gave her so I can post a picture. Any Christmas inspired quilt block would do (Christmas trees, wreaths, Santa, etc.) and they can be put together very quickly, usually in just a couple of hours once you have all your materials together.

that is so cute!
    I finally got a picture of the sweatshirt. I've also done a paper-pieced Christmas tree block with cute buttons as ornaments.
    Old 08-20-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by quilterj
    Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
    I am going to make Microwave Steamers and table runners and a few quilts, like someone else said, there aren't too many that are quiltworthy
    What are your microwave steamers?
    I am making tortilla warmers and putting them in gift baskets with related food items , such as salsa, etc.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5527353_make...ag-warmer.html
    Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 AM

I love this thread! Money is tight this year so I am also making lots of gifts. Here is a cute one you could make with a man's shirt.
    http://www.marthastewart.com/article...org_2010_08_20
    Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 AM

One year I made 6-inch paper pieced angel blocks, quilted them onto a navy blue sweatshirt (to look like the night sky) and bordered them with decorative braid. On some I experimented with lace for the angel's wings which was quite beautiful. Unfortunately, I have given them all away, but I will ask my mother to dig out the one I gave her so I can post a picture. Any Christmas inspired quilt block would do (Christmas trees, wreaths, Santa, etc.) and they can be put together very quickly, usually in just a couple of hours once you have all your materials together.
    I finally got a picture of the sweatshirt. I've also done a paper-pieced Christmas tree block with cute buttons as ornaments.
    Your angel block is beautiful. If anyone wants the pattern, it is in the book 101 Log Cabin Blocks with Full-Size Patterns for Foundation Piecing by Linda Causee, published by American School of Needlework. (I happened to have the book beside me when I read your e-mail.)
    Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM
    Power Poster

Check these out for all the crocheters on here..
    http://thingsyourgrandmotherknew.blo...rs-scuffs.html

I bought a pattern at my local quilt store for chenille scuffs and a olfa chenille cutter. I will make lounge pants to match and buy a t-shirt to make it a "set" to match the robes everyone got last year.
    Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 AM

Last year I made 4-inch coasters using various quilt block patterns. I free motion quilted the tops using a low-loft batting (1/16 inch Thermore brand that I bought at Hobby Lobby). After quilting, I layered the quilted top, a piece of flannel-backed tablecloth plastic and a plain back square together.

I sewed a 1/4 inch seam around the edge, leaving it open at the center of one side so I could turn it right side out. The corners looked better when I stitched one or two diagonal stitches at the corner instead of a sharp turn. (I use an enameled chop stick to push out the corners.) After turning it right side out, I top stitched around the outer edge and did not have to hand stitch the opening.

The plastic protects the table tops. I used up some old tablecloth scraps and then bought more at Hobby Lobby. (Some I looked at was too thick.) I tried a piece of a plastic tablecloth that wasn't flannel-backed, but it doesn't stay in place as nicely as the flannel-backed.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-100315.jpe   attachment-100316.jpe   attachment-100317.jpe  
    Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 AM

Love the snowflake idea! Sounds like me.
    Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 AM

Here's another easy idea. Buy stretcher strips at a art store, or make your own wooden frame if you have skill. Stretch & staple a large print piece of gorgeous cloth for a quick gift. Everything does not have to be quilted.
    Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 AM

JoannB, love the neat quilted coasters! Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing your tips. I especially liked using the flannel-backed tablecloth idea. Those are just so pretty!
    Old 08-20-2010, 12:02 PM

Another idea- for someone who travels...
    I just received 2travel bags, one for laundry & one for shoes. Clever! I'd love a # of the shoe ones.