Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas >
  • Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

• Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Old 10-24-2010, 04:59 PM

I'm in the process of converting a bedroom to a sewing room so will be an avid follower of this board
    Old 10-24-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by leaha
    Originally Posted by jackkip
    My question is, has anyone ever taken a kitchen cart and put a larger top for a cutting table? I really would like one that has wheels that can be easily moved. I have a hubby that is handy with wood working so alterations are not a huge problem. So any ideas out there? Thanks, you guys are the best :wink:
    I use the butcher block table that I had in my cafe' I added a drawer under the top for rottery cutters and odd templets, shelf under is for bolts of fabric
    I use a butcher block table too! not as nice & big as yours, but I love it.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-95419.jpe  
    Old 10-24-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
    This is a more decorative idea than storage idea. When I have extra blocks from a project, I dip them in liquid starch, sponge them onto my sewing room wall, usually along the top by the ceiling area, then let them dry. They make a nice decorative trim and I can make use of the extra blocks. If I need to remove them, I just pull them off, and clean the area with a damp sponge. The residue wipes right off. I would send a pix, but house sold and I already removed them. I saw this years ago on HGTV.
    Genius!!! and I shall be a copy cat. thank you. :-)
    Old 10-24-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
    Originally Posted by leaha
    Originally Posted by jackkip
    My question is, has anyone ever taken a kitchen cart and put a larger top for a cutting table? I really would like one that has wheels that can be easily moved. I have a hubby that is handy with wood working so alterations are not a huge problem. So any ideas out there? Thanks, you guys are the best :wink:
    I use the butcher block table that I had in my cafe' I added a drawer under the top for rottery cutters and odd templets, shelf under is for bolts of fabric
    I use a butcher block table too! not as nice & big as yours, but I love it.
    I think I am going to find a cabinet maker and have something custom made. But my daughter is getting married in 2 weeks, so it will have to wait until after that. Besides it gives me more time to decide exactly what I want

:-)
    Old 11-28-2010, 06:19 PM
    Banned

Great idea....
    Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
    Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    miholmes I am game. By the way loved what you did with your house.

My sewing studio is wonderful but it is directly under the rafters so my storage area are little doors that lead to the space hidden under the rafters that are too low to be part of the room. Consequently I have to kind of crawl in there, on hands and knees, and I chronically bonk my head. I hope to post pictures maybe later.
    Measure the depth of the area and the width of the doors. Then get a piece of plywood (1/2" or 3/4") and some rollers and make a pullout (like the mechanics use to slide in and out under cars). You can keep boxes and storage on top of that and slide it in and out. Much easier than crawling into the area.
    Wow! Excellent idea!!
    Old 10-14-2011, 05:10 PM

My friend had a huge roll of warm and natural from the company and she had it on a metal pipe and had saw horses on each end to hold it up, looks rustic and cute in her sewing room and does the trick.
    Old 10-14-2011, 05:10 PM

My friend had a huge roll of warm and natural from the company and she had it on a metal pipe and had saw horses on each end to hold it up, looks rustic and cute in her sewing room and does the trick.
    Old 10-14-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by SewinSue
    I had with a previous machine no place to organize my numerous presser feet so bought a metal screw organizer--it is about 12" wide by 6' thick, by 8" tall (very approximate) with lots of little drawers and used a label-er to write on the outside of each tiny drawer which presser foot was in that drawer. Very helpful LOL Sue
    Parts organizers! Thanks for the reminder! I used to have one long ago for my sewing and it worked great. Harbor Freight probably has different sizes. I could organize all the feet for my machines, all the assorted bobbins that go with each of my machines and more!
    Thanks!
    Old 10-15-2011, 03:35 AM

Michael, I really appreciate the explanation on how to store batting. I have done the same in my sewing room. I have counter tops anchored to all the walls in an 8'X10' spare room.
    I have placed plastic storage bins under all the counter tops, except one. The quilt bolt rod is ancored to the legs of the 8'
    end underneath the counter top. The area above the bolt left enough room to put a shelf, on which I store bags, etc. There are 2 counter top corners. One is used for my sewing machine and the other is for my computer. I use peg boards with various size hooks for all my bobbins and thread behind my sewing machine. Above the computer and sewing machine are various length shelvs with necessary sewing supplies, books, magazines, and various office necessities. The closet is just the right size for storing all my color coded fabrics in bins on many shelves. I live in my special sewing room.