Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-23-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I spend a lot of time admiring everyone's beautiful work on this board. I am amazed at the stunning artistry of so many of this community's quilts. I have to admit, however, that I'm not sure I fit in.

When I am making a quilt, I often settle for "good enough." I quilt to relax, and because I love wrapping up in a cozy quilt. If I'm trying to make it perfect, it becomes stressful. I don't stress over mismatched seems, points that don't match, blocks that are a bit crooked or slightly different sizes, or any of the other issues that I know many of you go to great lengths to make perfect. The only thing that annoys me is bunched backing, but that's because I don't have any space to baste properly, so the lack of space annoys me more than anything.

So, what about it? Am I alone? Are there any others out there that notice errors and keep going anyway without ripping out seems? Do any of you make quilts that have quite a few obvious errors, and you chalk it up to "personalization" and "being unpredictable?"
I'm an ex-home ec teacher, so a perfectionist at heart. BUT, life experiences have taught me that good enough is good enough. I don't quilt for contests or shows so the recipients of my quilts appreciate the gesture and the warm hug of one of my amateur quilts. It's got to be pretty bad or pretty noticeable for me to rip. Once it's quilted, but flaws are much less noticeable. I'm with you, I do this for relaxation and the pure joy of creating something myself. That is one of the reasons I don't send out to have them quilted. I prefer my humble methods of quilting and knowing that I made it all myself. I do try to learn more and more, but with age and a few health problems, my skill level is not as good as it once was.

When all is said and done (and I'm gone) who will care if the seams are not perfectly matched, the points are tipped off, or the backing has a few tucks. The sentiment is what counts. I like your attitude.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:56 PM

I spend a lot of time admiring everyone's beautiful work on this board. I am amazed at the stunning artistry of so many of this community's quilts. I have to admit, however, that I'm not sure I fit in.

When I am making a quilt, I often settle for "good enough." I quilt to relax, and because I love wrapping up in a cozy quilt. If I'm trying to make it perfect, it becomes stressful. I don't stress over mismatched seems, points that don't match, blocks that are a bit crooked or slightly different sizes, or any of the other issues that I know many of you go to great lengths to make perfect. The only thing that annoys me is bunched backing, but that's because I don't have any space to baste properly, so the lack of space annoys me more than anything.

So, what about it? Am I alone? Are there any others out there that notice errors and keep going anyway without ripping out seems? Do any of you make quilts that have quite a few obvious errors, and you chalk it up to "personalization" and "being unpredictable?"
I just finished my very first quilting project. It is a wall quilt and I am displaying it in my new sewing room. I to have the same space problem and it puckers a little in a few corners. However everyone that has looked at it says OMG this is your first quilt? It is so pretty. I am so proud of myself for just completing it. "Good Enough" is Great! I don't feel alone, thank you for this post. It made my day. Blessings and Safe Travels to all.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi

Matte I haven't even read through all the replies but I have to admit you have company in this area. For this very reason I shy away from taking classes or showing off my quilts. I taught myself to make quilts out of necessity over 30 yrs ago when my kids were just babies. I used to sew clothes and someone had given a huge box of fabric and not wanting to waste it I started making sandwich quilts. They were quick & easy, and as my kids grew older they loved that I made them their very own quilts. I am not a patient person nor do I follow directions well. I am more of a learner by seeing then following a pattern.
I go to quilt shows or see the beautiful creations these artist on this board produce and while I ooh, ahhh and drool over their lovely work I know my limits and most of all my level of patiences. Yes I am learning to push myself to learn out of my comfort zone but then I will be part way through a project and just want to get it done., did I mention I am impatient...lol I know my quilts will never earn any ribbons but so far they have been appreciated by all that have recieved and the ones that don't never get another one..lol
So dear you aren't alone.
Yes in my case Good is Good Enough.
Are we related? You sound just like me!
Old 10-23-2010, 02:24 PM

Someone said on another thread "perfectionists should not quilt". I am a perfectionist that is far from perfect. It is a burden, as someone else said. My quilting has gotten better over the years, but never good enough for me. My sister always quoted the galloping horse thing, but it didn't help. But I think this thread helped me a lot. It seems every time I work on my quilt, I stress so much I decide to give all my fabric away and sell my machine, I have tried to work on my "problem" before but it apparently has been engrained in me since I was born. After reading the 15 pages, I realize why I am not enjoying the process. I am going to try to relax more and enjoy the process, I wish there was a 12 step program for us. Did I mention I am impatient, too. That is a dealy combo.

Of course I know all your quilts are perfect. Actually I love homemade things from somone else, and I love the imperfections, go figure.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:25 PM

I try to do my best , if I notice the error I fix it if not oh well won't take a quilt apart to fix it once sewed a snowflake up side down didn't notice until it was time to quilt that section no else noticed not even my husband who is sergent of the Quilting police.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by rosie212
I am the same way. Have you ever tried making quilts where you quilt the sections before you piece them together? Betty Cotton has quilt patterns in which that is what you do. "The cotton theory" can be found at www.quiltyard.com. This is a very unusual technique that produces beautiful quilts.
I have a new book that includes this idea. I thought I would try it and see if I can do it before I put it into a big quilt. I can always use the messed up ones on pillows for the grandkids to throw on the floorr.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by janiesews
"Good enough" is fine with me. I also go with the idea that it makes my quilt unique. When I used to do a lot of counted cross stitch and I would get off a line or make a few wrong stitches I adopted the same attitude. You can wear things out or distort the cloth by removing and redoing.
Amen to this. I cs too and if it is small I let it go, major--I redo it.No one ever knows. I just get the satisfaction of knowing I am helping someone else. I did some cs pictures, donated them unframed to a church and they sold for $40-55 in an auction. No one ever knew who did them but they got good raves. I was happy someone else enjoyed having them. I give everything away. I own one quilt and I won it in a raffle for $1.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:26 PM

We are are own worst judges. I don't stress too much over the way things look. I see the mistakes but 9 times out of 10 who ever I give it to never even notices. :-) :-)
Old 10-23-2010, 06:32 PM

I am not a perfectionist, but I like things to look nice. If it is something for my personal use, I don't worry as much, but if it is for gifting, then I take a bit more care. I have learned over the two yrs. I have been quilting how to get most seams/corners to match - not even worried about points yet. I try to work with patterns/fabrics which are forgiving.
I feel this is something we do for our own personal satisfaction - being able to use something we have made or being able to give it to someone else -- whether family, friend or community service. I too, am not concerned with juried shows, hanging my work in a gallery, etc. Relax and enjoy what you are doing - you will gain SO much more satisfaction from it.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:24 PM

I tend to rip out too much! If I make a mistake in a place that's a focal point, I will definitely re-sew until it looks good. I tend to do less re-sewing as I near the end of the quilt! Just want to get the dang thing finished so I can move on to the next one that has moved into my head!