Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-23-2010, 02:23 AM

It is sooooo good to hear there are others out there who want to enjoy their work, not stress out over an imperfection. Life is too short and the projects too many to mess with perfection.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:26 AM

I don't think you're alone.
I try to do nice work; but after a point it's not worth stressing. You'll probably never see my work in a national show!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:46 AM

Good enough and done is better than another project never finished!
Old 10-23-2010, 04:04 AM

my dear sister who i lost to cancer in march was a perfectionist, rarely completed anything, and never satisfied with what sshe did. I feel it takes the joy away..most do not see our mistakes..LOVE is what counts. :thumbup:
Old 10-23-2010, 04:36 AM

[quote= One day I started again and found joy in giving loving quilts to others and making for self. Good enough is GREAT.[/quote]

I agree with you 100 %. The people I give my quilts to don't know the difference if a point is cut of for a seam is not matched. I try to do my best and sometimes I get a near perfect quilt and other times I don't. I am happy with each and every one I make. All are learning experiences and I appreciate them.

So quilt quilt quilt till you wilt, but enjoy it!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 04:40 AM

I have really bad AR in both hands and so good enough is how I do things to. I have done a few quilts that are really good but have spent years putting them together. But all my family and friends always want the ones that are not perfect. I use grandmas equalizer for backing and batting problems. snip, snip, snip. sew..... looks good to me.
By the way my grand daughter dont want the funny ones... she wants a real quilt that looks like her moms.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:59 AM

I am so glad to see these comments. I just finished a machine quilt-a first. I see all the mistakes. The quilt was made for the bed in our RV. My husband thinks it looks great. Good enough is alright for now, but I hope to learn from the mistakes and do better next time. My Mother-in-law (who is also my best friend) is a perfectionist. Her quilts always turn out gorgeous. When I am retired and finished with raising kids, maybe mine will too.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:13 AM

I have never been a perfectionist, so I "make do", either I am lazy or just don't care, OR it's not that bad!
Old 10-23-2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I spend a lot of time admiring everyone's beautiful work on this board. I am amazed at the stunning artistry of so many of this community's quilts. I have to admit, however, that I'm not sure I fit in.

When I am making a quilt, I often settle for "good enough." I quilt to relax, and because I love wrapping up in a cozy quilt. If I'm trying to make it perfect, it becomes stressful. I don't stress over mismatched seems, points that don't match, blocks that are a bit crooked or slightly different sizes, or any of the other issues that I know many of you go to great lengths to make perfect. The only thing that annoys me is bunched backing, but that's because I don't have any space to baste properly, so the lack of space annoys me more than anything.

So, what about it? Am I alone? Are there any others out there that notice errors and keep going anyway without ripping out seems? Do any of you make quilts that have quite a few obvious errors, and you chalk it up to "personalization" and "being unpredictable?"
Matte I haven't even read through all the replies but I have to admit you have company in this area. For this very reason I shy away from taking classes or showing off my quilts. I taught myself to make quilts out of necessity over 30 yrs ago when my kids were just babies. I used to sew clothes and someone had given a huge box of fabric and not wanting to waste it I started making sandwich quilts. They were quick & easy, and as my kids grew older they loved that I made them their very own quilts. I am not a patient person nor do I follow directions well. I am more of a learner by seeing then following a pattern.
I go to quilt shows or see the beautiful creations these artist on this board produce and while I ooh, ahhh and drool over their lovely work I know my limits and most of all my level of patiences. Yes I am learning to push myself to learn out of my comfort zone but then I will be part way through a project and just want to get it done., did I mention I am impatient...lol I know my quilts will never earn any ribbons but so far they have been appreciated by all that have recieved and the ones that don't never get another one..lol
So dear you aren't alone.
Yes in my case Good is Good Enough.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:57 AM

"Good enough" is fine with me. I also go with the idea that it makes my quilt unique. When I used to do a lot of counted cross stitch and I would get off a line or make a few wrong stitches I adopted the same attitude. You can wear things out or distort the cloth by removing and redoing.