Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-22-2010, 05:59 AM

I try to do my best especially on gifts because I feel I am sending the message that the gift recipient deserves the best. It gives me momentum to try harder.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:06 AM

Good enough is just fine as far as I'm concerned. Someone recently said to me "if you can't see it from 10 feet away driving 10 miles an hour don't worry about it"
Old 10-22-2010, 06:41 AM

I know perfection is impossible. Yet I cannot let imperfection go. I can accept anyone else's good enough. I won a table runner in a quilt shop drawing. It is on my table now with its many imperfections and I can accept that, yet had I made it, it would not have been donated as a prize. I am learning to say, "Thank you," rather than point out my mistakes and am getting better at it, yet recognize that being so hard on myself is just my own imperfection.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:50 AM

I find that with more and more quilts you become better and better without stressing about it. I think when you are happy with the quilt and the look of it thats the issue not that it is perfect... My mother in law says the Indians say if it is perfect it lets the devil in so, a little imperfect makes it yours.... I am not perfect and will never be and the people who receive them love them just the same.... Enjoy quilting and in time your little imperfections will be come less and less ---- Sometimes I am amazed that my blocks match.... Enjoy and that is all that matters...
Old 10-22-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
I used to stress a lot over the "perfect seam", "perfect point", etc. because the first people I sewed with had to be perfect. Never thought I would ever quilt again, but the yearning was always there. One day I started again and found joy in giving loving quilts to others and making for self. Good enough is GREAT.
I think she hit on the head great is in the beholder I found people love the thought of someone making something for them.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:10 AM

[quote=Mattee]I spend a lot of time admiring everyone's beautiful work on this board. I am amazed at the stunning artistry of so many of this community's quilts. I have to admit, however, that I'm not sure I fit in.

When I am making a quilt, I often settle for "good enough." I quilt to relax, and because I love wrapping up in a cozy quilt. If I'm trying to make it perfect, it becomes stressful. I don't stress over mismatched seems, points that don't match, blocks that are a bit crooked or slightly different sizes, or any of the other issues that I know many of you go to great lengths to make perfect. The only thing that annoys me is bunched backing, but that's because I don't have any space to baste properly, so the lack of space annoys me more than anything.

Of course you belong on this board! Personally, whenever i offer suggestions for quilters looking for advice, it's not because i feel it has to be perfect, but because the quilter has asked how to do something, or asked how to get a good result. The sharing of info on the message board is very helpful to those looking to "improve" their skills. It does not mean everyone reading the info has to use it.
I have many antique quilts, and they have loved many people over the last 100 years. They are far from technically perfect and they are beautiful.
Imperfections obvious to the quilt maker are not obvious to the recipient.
As my grandma always said "it will never be noticed on a galloping horse". Just make sure everyone keeps galloping and you're good to go!
Happy stitching...
Old 10-22-2010, 07:18 AM
PJO

Good enough works for me!!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:20 AM

I think the most important point is the 'why' - you quilt to relax, so to be neurotic about perfection would be counter-productive!

But everybody's different! I have some OCD tendencies - I have a child with severe autism and I recognize some of those characteristics in myself as well. So I pour my need to be picky and exact and ultra-focused into my quilts - instead of my messy, imperfect family members! It's much better to obsess over a seam until it lines up just right than it is to nag a loved one about something minor.

Quilting satisfies our souls in so many ways, and yet none of us are the same. Room for everybody, right?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:26 AM

It depends on what good enough means. Most of us sew to relax and make something we can be proud of. If good enough means many areas that are very obvious, then I could not live with that. I have been quilting for only 5 yrs. I had more mismatched blocks. today I have to rip it out, it does not take that much time and the results are worth the effort. There are some ways to cover up small errors with appliques that fit in with the overall theme of the quilt. I am not a perfectionist, but want to feel good about my finished product.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:27 AM

I think quilting is an evolutionary process. When I first started I was happy with "pretty good for a rank beginner". Then, as I picked up new tools and techniques and ideas I got to be a real perfectionist. All that did was build up a pile of UFOs because some little thing wasn't just right so why bother to continue. Now, in my dotage, I'm inclined to be a little more relaxed. Bottom line though, there is a difference between "good enough" and "just plain sloppy". MHO