Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 AM

I thought I had answered this because it sounds so much like me. I have always said good enough, I quilt for the relaxation, that is how I got into it. I was a care giver at the time. Now am hooked like everyone else. I do beat myself up because I am not better than I think I should be, but my brain and my hands do not agree with each other and of course fight like a couple of two yr olds. When when the dust clears you had better settle for good enough cause thats all I have lol...

I have tried for perfection, it makes me uptight because I can't achieve it. There went my fun. So you are among a lot of good company.

Rita
Old 10-22-2010, 04:38 AM

I struggled with trying to be perfect and like most others on this string I calmed down and started enjoying quilting instead. One of the things that most helped me was a book by Lisa Boyer named "That Dorky Homemade Look", not only is it extremely funny I think it should be a must read for all quilters.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:48 AM

I have friend who teaches quilting and her motto(now mine as well) is finished is better than perfect. If I waited until it was perfect, I surely wouldn't get much done.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I have yet to make the "perfect" quilt- but you know what that is ok with me :lol: I make them to be used and loved - and most people I know would put a "perfect" quilt up and be afraid to use them ... so YES--- most of mine are "ok" not perfect and that is OK with me :wink:

Just relax and enjoy :thumbup:
Ditto, as one friend said to me, "only you know where the mistake is and others don't care."
Old 10-22-2010, 04:50 AM

We will always be our own worse critic. Made with love is always perfect.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:54 AM

I live in Amish country and was told, after freaking our about being perfect, that they intentionally leave an error as they believe only God is perfect. That bit of info help me not to be so critical of my work and to enjoy it more.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:58 AM

Okay and good enough is good for me as well. I quilt to relax and share my quilts with those I love. They are not seamtresses and most of time don't even see my mistakes. The love them because I cared to share.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
To quote my Mom:

"Perfection is impossible.
However, excellence is attainable."

If you are okay with what you are doing, why should anyone else care one way or another?

Yes, I will settle for "good enough" - it may or may not be someone else's "good enough."

A lot depends on one's skill level and experience. I look back at some of my first sewing projects - and I was so proud of them - and see areas where I could "do it better" now - and I'm going to leave them just as they are as a tribute to the "me, then" person.

What is "Good Enough" also depends on what one wants to do! and who it's for!
bearisgray! I love your philosophy. Perfectly Said! or, well, at least Good Enough. lol...
Old 10-22-2010, 05:04 AM

Good enough is good enough for me. However, when I know I'm making a "special" quilt I do try to be extra careful but do not really stress over it. I want my quilts to be used, washed and enjoyed. And I tell the receiver when that one wears out I'll be glad to make another one.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I spend a lot of time admiring everyone's beautiful work on this board. I am amazed at the stunning artistry of so many of this community's quilts. I have to admit, however, that I'm not sure I fit in.

When I am making a quilt, I often settle for "good enough." I quilt to relax, and because I love wrapping up in a cozy quilt. If I'm trying to make it perfect, it becomes stressful. I don't stress over mismatched seems, points that don't match, blocks that are a bit crooked or slightly different sizes, or any of the other issues that I know many of you go to great lengths to make perfect. The only thing that annoys me is bunched backing, but that's because I don't have any space to baste properly, so the lack of space annoys me more than anything.

So, what about it? Am I alone? Are there any others out there that notice errors and keep going anyway without ripping out seems? Do any of you make quilts that have quite a few obvious errors, and you chalk it up to "personalization" and "being unpredictable?"
I am with you Mattee