Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-22-2010, 05:12 AM

Enjoy yourself with what you do. Only you can see the imperfections. I had a neighbor who used to say, "A blind man running for his life would never notice."

You are not competing at a show, you are creating memories.
Stop worrying about what others think and get on with your life.
Carol J.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:28 AM

I don't think you are alone. Good enough is okay for some projects and others I feel I need to do my best. I only work on the latter when I DON'T need a stress reducer!! :lol:
Old 10-22-2010, 05:35 AM

I go with 'Good enough' and I have found that over the years my good enough has got better and better. Since I found this site - I have learned lots of new tricks and methods that all help add to my skills and I am very happy to be prgressing forward...

BTW - I have been quilting 34 years!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:40 AM

The only perfect person was Jesus Christ he is the only one never made a mistake. If you look closely at some on the quilts in magazines. some of those points are off just a tad, some the borders are a little crooked. I am my most worse critic, however I love to sew. I used to make clothes for people some you couldn't satisfy no matter what you did. So I decided to quilt I don't make them to please them I make them because it is something I love to do. I have learned from each one I make the mistakes I made helps me make the next one better. I don't strive to be perfect just to do the best I can. Only if it is a huge mistake I will fix it but if it is small I don't worry about it anymore. I make my quilts with love. that is the best I can do.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:41 AM

If you are quilting to enter a show and win the top prize, you should not settle for "good enough." However, if it's just for fun, do what works for you.

I once heard that the "rule" about mistakes on quilts is that, if they can't be seen from 3 ft. away or by someone going by on a galloping horse, they are just fine!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:41 AM

I just do my best, & if I catch a mistake & can easily fix it, fine. Sometimes, fixing causes more problems. Besides, point them out later, to a non-quilter & they usually say, I didn't even notice. We are all our own worst critics, so remember, that's not what most others will see when they look at your lovely work later, & if they do, chances are they will still love it....
Old 10-22-2010, 05:43 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that one time I entered what I thought was a nearly perfect quilt in a quilt show. It was one point away from 3rd place. Years later, while sleeping under it, I noticed a huge mistake in the very center (one block turned 90 degrees), but the judges never seemed to notice either. Or at least they were too polite to say!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:45 AM

it's all in the eye of the beholder, my good enough is sometimes better than someone else's perfect and visa versa
Old 10-22-2010, 05:49 AM

Eleanor Burns uses the 20 mile rule. If you hang the quilt on the front door & drive by at 20MPH and it looks good, it IS good.
Mattee, perfection is an unattainable goal. There's only been one perfect person who ever lived and we are not Him. He wasn't a quilter, but he lived a perfect life. Quilts are, by nature, made to keep someone or something warm. Keep as many people warm as you can and forget about perfection. Enjoy your quilts & making them.
Another point: I make quilts for babies and nursing home patients - they don't care if the quilt is perfect!
Well, SO WHAT if Paducah is never going to call me up and the quilt police have marked my house off the map. I'm going to make as many quilts as I can before I die!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:53 AM

I just do my best and that is good enough for me.