Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-22-2010, 06:30 PM

I make lots of charity quilts for in-need kids.
Take a peek at my album in Webshots.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562396634NVWSUO

Sharon W.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:30 PM

I am with you. I quilt to relax. When I first started, it was too stressful because I could not get my stitches like I wanted them, then one day I realized that this was not fun, so I put it away for a while. Now I don't worry about it. I quilt because I love quilts and I quilt to relax!!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:09 PM

My quilts have to satisfy me and I am very picky, so I fix whatever is fixable. Ideally, I would like all quilters to be happy in what they do and what they achieve, all according to whatever level of perfection they desire. I think it's a shame to have a hobby that is stressful and/or causes unhappiness, so I say be happy with the creative process and the end result.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:13 PM

I'm an imperfect, perfectionist.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:14 PM

My second course i attended was to make a Jacobs Ladder. We were not given the 'quick cuts' so landed up cutting every single little square separately and then there was a lot of stitching and stitching and ironing and ironing. You all know this is part of quilting. By the time i had finished my set of blocks and had to join them i was in for a SHOCK. My blocks were different row sizes and my triangles did NOT ALL MEET in the same place when i had trimmed them to the same size. I was devastated. I threw all the blocks into the cupboard and left it there for 8 years. Made more quilts with friends and we helped each other and slowly learnt how to make points more perfect, etc. I have only recently found a quilter who finishes unfinished quilts and i took mine to her. It is now PROUDLY displayed on my bed and to be honest, with all the stunning colours, i even do not notice the bad flaws. I am trying to teach myself that it does not matter if it is not perfect. I have just finished a quilt for my 78 year old mom and i found one of my cream squares with a little design was upside down. It was near the centre of the quilt - i just laughed and left it there. To me, it IS PERFECT.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 PM

I take my hat off to you and all your ladies for doing such a wonderful job with your quilts and for such a stunning cause. Well done and keep up the wonderful work.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 PM

I take my hat off to you and all your ladies for doing such a wonderful job with your quilts and for such a stunning cause. Well done and keep up the wonderful work.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 PM

I always try to make my seams line up exactly, and my star points come out with perfect points, etc. etc. and it it's not perfect I ripe it out and try again, after 3 tries if it's still does not come out perfect I just leave it and decide it's just not going to be perfect and I'm not perfect, so I just suck it up... lol
Old 10-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

MY quits are 'perfect' to the point it's intended for- to be used, loved, worn, dragged, cuddled, admired and yes, one day falling to pieces.. and every single one of them has either a mismatched seam, a pucker or two, crooked seam, and definitely not on point..

I tell all the recipients I expect to get this back worn, ragged and thoroughly used up because I will gladly replace with a new one!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 PM

If my quilts had to be perfect they would never get finished. I go along doing great when oops a point gets cut off or doesn't reach the seam; or corner doesn't quite match. But when it is all quilted, 99% of the time it doesn't show and person getting couln't find it anyway. A five year old really won't care. So good enough is good enough!