Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-22-2010, 05:12 PM

i learned many years ago that perfection was a burden i would never be required to bear, and i am grateful. i would love, someday, to create a perfect quilt--but like the amish quilters and the "humility " errors deliberately put in their work, i am reminded every waking moment of my life that perfection os god's, alone. what is required of me is to DO. my quilts, like my life, will never measure up to some people's standards--but those who know me love them, and know that they are meant to be used, sat on, and yes, even worn out. (that was a goal met, actually--to have a quilt so well loved that it fell apart from use. took it about ten years, but it finally became "real"...)

"the enemy of "good" is "better".
Old 10-22-2010, 05:25 PM

Quilts are handmade, and to err is human.

Being human we all err, and perfection is not necessary, but the enjoyment in making the quilt is.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I spend a lot of time admiring everyone's beautiful work on this board. I am amazed at the stunning artistry of so many of this community's quilts. I have to admit, however, that I'm not sure I fit in.

When I am making a quilt, I often settle for "good enough." I quilt to relax, and because I love wrapping up in a cozy quilt. If I'm trying to make it perfect, it becomes stressful. I don't stress over mismatched seems, points that don't match, blocks that are a bit crooked or slightly different sizes, or any of the other issues that I know many of you go to great lengths to make perfect. The only thing that annoys me is bunched backing, but that's because I don't have any space to baste properly, so the lack of space annoys me more than anything.

So, what about it? Am I alone? Are there any others out there that notice errors and keep going anyway without ripping out seems? Do any of you make quilts that have quite a few obvious errors, and you chalk it up to "personalization" and "being unpredictable?"
I don't stress over it. I love the 'handmade' look!!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:43 PM

The quest for perfection is a certain path to depression. Quilting is about sharing love and giving comfort to those we care about. If you do your best and love what you do then good enough is as close to perfection as I ever want to be.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:45 PM

Life is short. Finish that quilt! Use it, sleep under it, feel the love.

Yep, I'm another "good enough" gal!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:51 PM

It took me a lot of years to realize that I do not have to live up to somebody else's standard; the only one that counts is mine. If the rest of the world doesn't like it, too bad. Nobody ever died because a seam wasn't straight. Lighten up on yourself, and enjoy the journey.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:02 PM

I started quilting to make 3 quilts for my best friends 3 boys after her death. She had finished 8 squares, each a perfectly pointed blue and white mariners compass. I made each boy a scrappy quilt, colours of their choice, a few mistakes. They love them.
My friend had made me a wedding ring quilt, which I have given back to her husband, as it was the only thing she ever really finished.
When she died, she bequeathed her stash to me. She had thousands of fabrics, not one of which I liked! I donated them all to a charity that makes quilts for sick children, homeless people and bushfire survivors.
She left a mountain of unpicking, of things that were half finished, they went to the charity as well. The women who picked them up ooohed and aaahed at her work, and one of them could find the faults. She took the pile to fix - and she was welcome to it.
I quilt and I remember her, but I wish she had relaxed more about perfection and been able to finish her boys quilts - and left more of her work to those who loved her.
I just want to get things good enough - perfection is my goal, but as a beginner, I am happy with that.
And noone has given me back any bits and pieces yet!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:14 PM

Hi Ladies

I'm not a perfectionist and Good Enough is Good Enough for me except someone is paying me big bucks to make one. Then I'm just half ways excellent. Not bragging because it is very difficult to cover every little mistake and hope. I will not correct if they see a mistake, usually would ruin the quilt, but I like the old cliche "Every quilt has at least one mistake." Works for me.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:20 PM

Hi, Nona--I have had 4 hospital visits and two surgeries since May--and am just recovering, so I too have been finishing projects for kids and grandkids. I still have about 40 charity quits in totes to tie and bind!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I think you would fit in nicely with Kaye Wood's programs for "pointless people". She has a number of projects which turn out looking really well because the points don't have to match. Sometimes, I think that the "Quilt Police" are a bit like the "Cobweb Chasers" who check out the status of your housework in order to comment upon it at the next gossip session. If you enjoy doing something I wouldn't worry about it's "Show Status" - we need members to keep the craft alive.
I made a "Card Tricks" quilt that was missing many of its points, named it, "The Pointless Card Game". It was my third quilt. Now many years later I try to keep my points from getting lost in the seam allowance.