Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection >
  • I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

• I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

Old 02-03-2011, 06:43 PM

Perfection is good, but hard to come by. What is more important to me is to learn something new with each quilt I make, either a new technique or a new idea or experiment that works well, or just to know I'm improving my patchwork accuracy. I believe that I am continually learning new skills and improving on the old ones; if I never learn anything new or improve my skills, quilting wouldn't be much fun for me. That would be just like housework ... repetitive and boring.
    Old 02-03-2011, 06:50 PM

Perfection is not all it's cracked up to be...or maybe it is. If it isn't fun it isn't worth it.
    Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 PM

I am far from perfect. I just love to quilt. I try to do the best that I can do & I do take my time lining things up but if it is off a little then I can live with it. Just have fun!
    Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 PM

I do the best I can when I quilt. My quilts are made out of love and I enjoy that. Perfection is too stressful and takes the fun out of quilting and anything else you want perfection from. Lighten up and enjoy!
    Old 02-03-2011, 07:54 PM

More often than not the tendency toward perfection is self-imposed. Take a deep breath and look at why you quilt. If it's for you then try to just relax and enjoy it. Just my amateur advice.
    Originally Posted by Becky13
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE quilting, but am frustrated at the sense that everything I do has to be perfect. Reading about the latest gadget that we can buy to make SURE that we get that 1/4" (minus two threads), just makes me sigh... And how we scurry to take out a seam when our blocks are off 3 threads. All the talk about being sure that everything is "exact". Are we quilting because it's fun? We're making a loving gift? Or is perfection the goal?
    Old 02-03-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by feffertim
    I love the horse rule, thats really funny. I have noticed that when I have a mistake that to me is quite noticeable, no one else sees it unless I point it out. So if I'm the only one that sees it, let it go. If we wanted perfection, we would get mass produced machine quilts from China
    The inexpensive quilts we get from china aren't perfect either! As I write this, I am wrapped up in one, that I bought just for that purpose, like a bathrobe sorta, only nicer, because I am extremrly hard on quilts when I sleep under them. It looks nice on my bed and i wash it about once a week too. It is machine pieced but handquilted with about four stitches to the inch. If and when I destruct it I can get another. ( I have already got blobs of permanent ink on it from a ballpoint pen i dropped while talking on my cell phone)
    ...but.....
    I have a collection of beautiful and not so beautiful quilts and tops being made that are great to give away or trade, and put on my walls to look at and are full of love.

I couldn't destruct one of those.
    I can't bear the thought of ink on one of those...J
    Old 02-03-2011, 09:04 PM

There is really no perfection in the world, but we do strive to do our very best, we want everyone to look at our quilts and uhh and ohh over them, guess what, they will we don't look for imperfections, but we admire the work that has been put into the quilts and the way the quilting is done :D
    Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 PM

Here is the way I look at perfection: I don't feel that I can give God any competition in the perfection department, so I just do my best, correct an error here and there, and am happy with my sewing. :) :) :)
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:39 PM

All the gadjets aare for advertisinf and marketing. Don't be sucked in! Cut as straight as you can, measure as accurately as possible(twice) sew a straight seam, cross fingers and hope! DON"T point out discrepancies, no one but the quilt police will notice and who cares about them???? The inportant people, the ones you love, will love your offerings for them if you have done your best and sewn many stitches of love into their quilt. It, and the love will last for as long as their memory lasts! For you is the joy of creation and play with colour shape and texture! Enjoy your life experiences, don't seat them! Have fun!!!
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 PM

oops sorry . I meant to say don't sweat them!