Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Quilting Bee: One Block/Month Swap (Please see message from MadeinMaine on page 201) >

Quilting Bee: One Block/Month Swap (Please see message from MadeinMaine on page 201)

Quilting Bee: One Block/Month Swap (Please see message from MadeinMaine on page 201)

Old 03-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rivka
Guys, I'm sorry -- it's my fault that your block lotto got shut down. I asked if I could start one myself, and when told no, I asked why not, if other threads such as yours are allowed to have them. Apparently the powers that be didn't realize you were running a block lotto, which they say is a no-no, and hence why they're stopping it now.

It was not my intention to get you shut down at all -- I'm so sorry! I do hope that a way can be found to allow lottos (or whatever they should be called), because I'd really like to start one myself...
Thank you for speaking out, but don't worry yourself about it :D:D:D the powers that be would have heard about it at some point in time :wink: I think that BRT has it all worked out now :D:D:D
Old 03-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Administrator

OK, I'm going to respond here since the whole lottery thing was brought to my attention. Let's clarify a few things.

I am running an illegal lottery- which is funny, since CHURCHES do this type of activity near me, but nonetheless, we follow the online rules. We have to shut it down.
That might be true. But I doubt your local DA's office would prosecute your local church. It would be the end of career for pretty much any public official. Prosecuting you, on the other hand, would be business as usual for them.

Ask yourself this: how soon would the local tv news get involved and rally up the community to support your local church if it ever got prosecuted for some community-building activity?

Now ask yourself this: would the same level of support materialize if the DA's office was prosecuting you and not your local church?

See the difference?

... and out of curiosity, is there a lawyer among us who can explain how this is an illegal lottery in layman's terms?
Try hiring an attorney. I don't think a consultation would cost you more than $300-400. And for another $500 or so, you can have an attorney draft you a solid terms and conditions document for this activity. Then you can replace your description with that document.

Now, when reading the line above, if you balked at the idea of paying hundreds of dollars for the legal counsel over nothing, then you have something to think about.

If the government makes a simple inquiry into this, then a sum of several hundred dollars would be the least of your problems. You would have to seriously lawyer up just to respond to an inquiry. Having any kind of dialog with the government costs a lot of money. So why provoke the possibility?

Ask yourself if that's really worth it.

All it takes is a complaint from one person who decided that she was wronged by you in some way. Or someone who is morally objecting to this activity and not even participating. Or just someone who is having a bad day. Just one letter sent to the DA and you are in for a ride.

That is assuming that a complaint comes from someone in Wisconsin. If not, then you won't be dealing with your state. Once the issue crosses the state lines, it's a totally different animal. Dealing with the federal government is usually much more expensive.

Still think it's worth it?

I don't think this is gambling though...you're picking a random name out of the people that participate...its more like a raffle than a lottery.
You can call it whatever you want. It doesn't change a thing.

As long as a person is required to mail anything other than the application form to participate, it's a lottery. It doesn't matter if it's money or fabric.

What would you say if someone wanted to join in and be eligible to win without having to send you anything?

If you refuse that person, then congratulations, you are running an illegal lottery.

As I said in a PM, there are three conditions that need to be met for any activity to be considered a lottery:
- prize
- chance
- consideration

If all three are present, then you are risking getting prosecuted.
Consideration doesn't necessarily mean money. It can be merchandise.

You can have two out of three and still be fine with the law. But if all three are present, then you can't do it.

If nobody is required to pay or mail you anything, then it's sweepstakes. It's legal.
If everybody gets something in return, then it's a swap. Also legal.

But if everybody is required to provide some sort of consideration to participate, any not everybody gets something back in return, and some mechanism based on chance is used to decide who gets it all -- then you have a lottery.

Here is another thing you might want to do just for the fun on it. Contact Blogspot and explain to them how what you are doing involves prize, chance and consideration, but is "not really a lottery". Also tell them that your church is doing the same thing. And of course tell them that you are going to call it a "giveaway".

...and then see how fast they delete your entire blog.

It's not about "online rules", as you casually referred to them. We are talking about off-line laws.

You are not putting me in jeopardy. You are putting yourself in jeopardy.

The only way I, and your internet service provider, (and now) Blogspot and are ever going to be involved into this is when the government subpoenas us all for our logs to help them establish your identity and to collect the evidence -- so they know who to prosecute.

All it takes is one complaint from someone who wants to get back at you for something.

And even if eventually you'll be able to prove that you didn't profit from it in any way and that you didn't do it in bad faith, by the time it's over, you'll have spent thousands of dollars in legal fees. Not to mention all the stress yourself and your loved ones will have to go through.

Seriously, is it really worth it?

Swaps are cool. Exchanges are cool. Selling and buying stuff is cool. But running a lottery is not. It's as simple as that.

And if you are inclined to joke about it, then I suggest you browse around online and read about people who had their lives ruined over what seemed like "not a big deal" initially. There are plenty of them out there.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:24 PM

Nice user name. If I give someone a gift, it is theirs to do whatever they want with it. Even give it to someone else.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:57 AM

Thank you, Admin, for the explanation.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:24 AM

Oh thank goodness you love them. That block was just the death of me I made the center 3 times before I got it right. lmao But I sure did have fun with them even though I struggled.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Thank you, Admin, for the explanation.
DITTO :)
Old 03-04-2010, 11:06 AM

It's really nice to have the explanation rather than just "we can't do this". Thanks! :)
Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 PM

I received these wonderful blocks from April today, and I was able to get 2 in the mail! Yippee!

April 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29678[/ATTACH]

April 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29679[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-29678.jpe   attachment-29679.jpe  
Old 03-05-2010, 05:56 AM

Has anyone seen dettonlisas around recently? She's my March partner... I PM'd her, because somewhere in this thread she said she was changing from blue/white stars to a different theme, but I haven't heard back from her. Is she okay? If she's just busy, does her February partner by any chance know what her current theme is? Thanks!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by lavandula girl
Reneebobby... look what showed up at my house today! So pretty, thanks for the blocks, and for the fabric as well. :D I love them!
Wow, I'm green with envy on the dragonflies! Super job. Moosegirl who also loves dragonflies