Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

#12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 03-06-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Done! Reminds me of easter eggs or springtime. Everyone's blocks are so cute. Looking forward to what comes next. Now back to working on putting the borders on my floral irish chain quilt top that has been sitting on the table for several weeks now!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]544144[/ATTACH]
Yes, Jeanne Easter Eggs and Spring... very pretty blocks

Judy in Phx, AZ

Yes Jenne
Old 03-06-2016, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
JustJan if you double the size of the stars, you are on your own to finish, no idea what you would need to finish the blocks
PaintMeJudy I just meant I like the star blocks and plan to make larger ones for another project. I will just have to wait until this mystery is solved to see if the other blocks you will be giving us might be able to be enlarged too. But, of course, I'm doing this according to your directions.

Today I fooled around with the scrappy wedges for placemats, similar to your quilt. Here is my test block ready to sandwich. I used the top of the Easy Dresden ruler. Plan to try using the center section of the ruler to get skinnier wedges, to use more wedges per block... but I have the placemat's over-all size figured out.
Attached Thumbnails wedge-placemat.jpg  
Old 03-06-2016, 01:45 PM

So pretty, Jeanne S!

Thank you, Just Jan. You are sweet. I'm going to switch out my C fabric in the hopes I can make my star look less lopsided.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:03 PM

Finally made my selections & cut out A=-E. Are I correct in reading that the HSTs are glued, not sewed?
Old 03-06-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
Finally made my selections & cut out A=-E. Are I correct in reading that the HSTs are glued, not sewed?
Dotty, that is the way I understood the directions and did it. The folded color triangles are just laid on top of a white square and glued down to hold them in place until sewn in the 9 patch seams.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:14 PM

Gluing HSTs ? This may change my life!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:28 PM

Everybody's stars are so pretty! I hesitated because mine will be in the same color family, but tomorrow I will have to take the plunge & cut the fabrics!
Old 03-06-2016, 09:12 PM

Well, I made all four 4-patches at last. Took me a few tries to get them cut right and sewn right. A dot of glue sure helps keeps those tiny pieces from shifting . They're adorable. I'll try to take pictures when I've got the stars done.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:41 AM

washable glue.........maybe this is a 3-D block
Old 03-07-2016, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by marshamarriott View Post
AnngelAnne and Roma, Had a good laugh over this! We live in the boonies in western NY. Our old farm house IS that shed. We have a fat pair of squirrels living upstairs, a pair of young Raccoon living between the upstairs floor and downstairs ceiling (they like to play on the late afternoon and are used to us yelling at them and rapping the broom handle on the ceiling - that gets them scrambling for a corner but they soon return to playing.) We have seen them on the roof. Rich didn't believe me at first, but then he saw them. Also numerous mice (now dying in the walls), spiders everywhere.

I haven't been able to go upstairs very much the past year because of knee replacement, but will get there soon. I dread looking into the boxes and bags that hold my oldest stash and my mother's. They haven't been opened since our five children have left the nest. Now the one storage closet we have upstairs is probably full of shredded boxes, shredded bags and shredded fabrics. I am good at salvage, so probably rescue something. I wish I knew how to "evict" the residents up there. Raccoons seem to keep to the walls and under-floor areas, but the squirrels seem to have free reign of the 2 bedrooms and door-less storage area. If I accidently leave the stairway door open, they escape, then all outside doors need to be opened then chase them to one of the doors. They soon return.

Some day soon I will dare to attack that closet and salvage the better and throw the rest, including boxes full of kid's leftover. When they left they got boxes of their leavings. They sorted the boxes, took what they wanted, then returned the boxes nearly full. I should have thrown them at the time! Even text books left behind.

Sorry this is so long, but I couldn't resist. My directions to truck drivers who hadn't been to the farm before was "If you are convinced you are lost, keep going - you are almost there"!

Now I have to rummage in my down-stairs stash for fabrics for this mystery in the 4x size. If I find 13 - 1 yard length pieces I will probably have enough and the remainder will just go into a scrap quilt.
YUP, Boonies another name for the willy wacks, or out in the sticks. And I don't know about you, but here when a lot of us have leftovers and someone asks whats for supper the next day, we might say Boonie stew, don't ask me why, maybe its just the people I hang around. I lived in the country all my life, I have a feeling I would not know how to act in a big city. Definitely a country girl thru and thru. Your description of your home fits, lol. You definitely have a lot of work cut out for you fixing your home up, but what a wonderful reward to accomplish, well worth the work.