Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you save your selvages? >

Do you save your selvages?

Do you save your selvages?

Old 02-28-2021, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I save them and make purses out of them.
I'd love to see pictures of the purses!
Old 03-01-2021, 01:24 PM

For those of you that do cut off selvages - how to you do it? I prewash everything and then ruler fold it and cut wof as needed, so most of my selvage scraps are under 3" long.

So I figure I'd need to cut them off after I wash but before I fold - and then I worry I'm going to have a lot of fraying going on in my stash.

I've seen some neat projects using them, but it seems like way too much work to obtain them.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
For those of you that do cut off selvages - how to you do it? I prewash everything and then ruler fold it and cut wof as needed, so most of my selvage scraps are under 3" long.
These days I only prewash batiks and anything red/orange/hot pink that might run. I don't buy a lot of yardage anyway. I always cut 1.5" off the printed side of the selvage before I cut anything else. And I often cut 1/2" off the other side so I don't need to take time to cut the ends of each strip when I'm cutting WOF. I save my selvages in a bag hung on my sewing room door. It comes in handy if I run out of fabric when I'm making a particular project. I can take that piece of selvage back to the store to get the same fabric. This came in very handy last year, under covid lockdown, when I started using a background fabric I had bought at least a year before. I needed about 1/2 a yard more to finish and sent a picture of the selvage to the shop owner. She met me in the parking lot and handed me what I needed to finish.