Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Hot Air Balloon Swap - Signup Closed Blocks due by Sept 3 >

Hot Air Balloon Swap - Signup Closed Blocks due by Sept 3

Hot Air Balloon Swap - Signup Closed Blocks due by Sept 3

Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 PM

Try Joane's fabrics, that is where I purchased mine.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:45 PM

You don't offend me Deb. I agree if the blocks isn't to you by sept 3. The person sending them should keep them. It isn't fair to those that has been on time to have to wait longer.
I hosted a swap for ladies and had one lady that waited 2 weeks past the time they was supposed to be to me, then she informs me they wouldn't be coming. After the other ladies agreed to wait they was very disapointed. (This was on another web site.)
I was at two different JoAnns last weekend and couldn't find that fabric. Oh, well I will use something else.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 PM

I will be going to the local Joann's tomorrow, would you like me to purchase an amount for you if they still have some? If they do, I could send it out asap and more than likely you would get the fabric by the end of the week????
Old 08-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by JudyG
Originally Posted by KAREN52
:) Deb I wonder if there is a way to do a hot air balloon doing the log cabin block, I have just learned to do the log cabin and am making a king size quilt for our bed and was just wondering if you had any idea of how to do a hot air balloon using the log cabin pattern. :) I love this quilting board have been out of quilting for awhile and now am getting back into it and am loving it.
Karen, I think you could make the balloon out of a log cabin block. I am attaching a picture of one I've been playing with in EQ7 and I think it could be done. You would just have to put a triangle on each corner of the sky fabric after you complete the log cabin section of the block before you add the rest of the sky and then embroider the ropes or whatever between the balloon and basket.
Judy--What side strips did the EQ tell you to cut for the log cabin balloon?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by MISHNJIM
Judy--What side strips did the EQ tell you to cut for the log cabin balloon?
Mish, they were 1-1/2 inch strips which finished at 1 inch.

If you're looking at the log cabin I posted, I would lower that basket down and have longer ropes so you didn't have to put a small strip under the basket.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Glad to see everyone is excited about making these!!! I have mine cut out but with the Sun Bonnet Sues' running around, I haven't had a chance to get to mine. I am doing to ask though, (again postage was short on several of those blocks I sent out) that you put in a $4.90 flat rate stamp for your return. I will take care of the envelope. I love hosting the swaps and will continue to do more, but the flat rate envelope stamp will be my guidelines for returning the blocks.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by brenda 5
Where is everyone finding the neat fabric for the baskets. Have balloons almost done but need baskets.
I used cutouts of whatever suited, a heart, flag, bug, woven look stuff, one of the fabs... creative license # :) :lol: :lol:
Old 08-02-2010, 07:48 PM

Finally sent mine today, hope it was O.K sent 5.28 in stamps have a small P.O. it cost 4.90 to send and I ask about the flat rate stamp he said something about the mailing date needing to be the same as day posted, can request one w/no date but your postal person would have to stamp the date when returned ??
Thanks !!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:52 PM

That is not true about the stamped postage. If it has a date on the stamp, it must be used in two days or it isn't any good. My postal workers have been good about honoring the ones that have been sent to me. They are not happy about it, but they do it as I am a very frequent patron. There is a flat rate stamp that has the Mackinac Bridge on it (I have used almost 60 of these for the last swap that I did) and it costs $4.90. It is a Flat Rate Stamp, that may be what the confusion is. it is used on a flat rate envelope, which is NOT the priority envelope. I will take care of the envelope. All I need is the stamp. I can get two sets of blocks in an envelope. Just make sure you also send a large zip lock bag for the return blocks.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:31 PM

They were packed in a ziploc, w/a return envelope, extra addresses printed, and stamps if when you go to return, if all are not needed, feel free to use to offset.