Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-17-2011, 01:40 PM

You can include me as one of your hoarder-friends...I need to organize mine as well.....and I will....one day...
Old 04-17-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by miholmes
What is it about fabric?

I've been quilting for a little over a year now. And after my last quilt I started to organize my fabric.....YIKES!!

How many times can you say...OHHH I remember that KIT I forgot I had that!

Or...That's RIGHT I got this cute baby flannel for the next time I needed to make a baby quilt. (I've done 4 since getting that fabric)
YOU WON'T BE LONELY HERE WE ALL HOARD. WELCOME
I have jelly rolls galore and then 1/4 yard of fabric just cause I thought they were fun.

So after going through EVERY tub I'm embarrased to say there really wasn't alot of scraps.....most were KITS.....fabric, plus the backing I bought after getting the kit and the patterns....KITS....many are queen sized....those aren't cheap.

I realize it will be hard to quilt cold turkey but unless there is a project I'm doing for someone that I HAVE to get done and they pick a specific fabric, I really need to use what I have.

I mean I know we kid about it alot, but there's hundreds if not a thousand or more dollars in my sewing room. Granted they are all now organized with a digital picture of the kit taped to the front of the projects bag. But it's an entire kitchen island full, several plastic tubs, and a shelf stacked with jelly rolls (did I mention I've only ever done 1 quilt with a jelly roll)

WHY are we so obsessed with this stuff?!?!?! I was actually slighty horrified that I couldn't even REMEMBER buying some of these kits.

So we'll see how long I can stay on the non-fabric purchasing wagon....cause it's OUT OF CONTROL! I think Discover needs to have a new show.....Quilting - INTERVENTION! Cause I think I would be a candidate.

P.S. I forgot to mention I found 3 kits in the little secret cubby in the trunk of my RAV4......THREE.....I was too ashamed to bring them in the house. :P
Old 04-17-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by miholmes
What is it about fabric?

I've been quilting for a little over a year now. And after my last quilt I started to organize my fabric.....YIKES!!

How many times can you say...OHHH I remember that KIT I forgot I had that!

Or...That's RIGHT I got this cute baby flannel for the next time I needed to make a baby quilt. (I've done 4 since getting that fabric)
YOU WON'T BE LONELY HERE WE ALL HOARD. WELCOME
I have jelly rolls galore and then 1/4 yard of fabric just cause I thought they were fun.

So after going through EVERY tub I'm embarrased to say there really wasn't alot of scraps.....most were KITS.....fabric, plus the backing I bought after getting the kit and the patterns....KITS....many are queen sized....those aren't cheap.

I realize it will be hard to quilt cold turkey but unless there is a project I'm doing for someone that I HAVE to get done and they pick a specific fabric, I really need to use what I have.

I mean I know we kid about it alot, but there's hundreds if not a thousand or more dollars in my sewing room. Granted they are all now organized with a digital picture of the kit taped to the front of the projects bag. But it's an entire kitchen island full, several plastic tubs, and a shelf stacked with jelly rolls (did I mention I've only ever done 1 quilt with a jelly roll)

WHY are we so obsessed with this stuff?!?!?! I was actually slighty horrified that I couldn't even REMEMBER buying some of these kits.

So we'll see how long I can stay on the non-fabric purchasing wagon....cause it's OUT OF CONTROL! I think Discover needs to have a new show.....Quilting - INTERVENTION! Cause I think I would be a candidate.

P.S. I forgot to mention I found 3 kits in the little secret cubby in the trunk of my RAV4......THREE.....I was too ashamed to bring them in the house. :P
Old 04-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Gosh Michael, you are really asking the wrong people here. There is probably not a single one of us who thinks you have a problem.

The only thing we can say to you is welcome to our world !!!!

mamaduck
Old 04-17-2011, 07:32 PM

Since the width of some of the new fabrics is 40" wide instead of 44"- 45" maybe we should be glad we have our stashes
Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Michael, I am roflmao. I remember when you first joined the board and posted about what machine to buy when you got 'bit' by the bug. You are definitely a full fledged member now. Welcome to the group. You have gone through all the stages - kinda like a 12-step program only in reverse. You have earned your badge. :lol: :lol: :lol: Wear it proudly. Love your posts.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:16 AM

Vowed to not buy anymore until I use up some - then I went to Goodwill to look for a bookcase (for all my patterns and books) and just couldn't resist looking at the linens bin. Well, they were on sale... Then I had to go to JoAnn's to get the batting for a quilt I just finished - and they had 1/2 off the red tag price. At $1.50 to $2.50 a yard I just couldn't pass that by. And on top of that, when I checked out they gave me all kinds of coupons for the next 2 weeks. I think I'm going to ask my husband to hide my car keys.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 AM

Michael,
I can really relate! I made the fatal mistake of going in Marshall's in Batesville, AR Saturday to replace 3-4 yards of blenders that I have used up in other quilts. I left $67 and one really heavy bag of fabric later! I swear I can hear my closet groan now when I open the door.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:17 PM

Michael, just go with it. I think I seriously started trying to use up the lovely fabrics I bought when the Rubbermaid containers kept falling over, or was it when I discovered several of the lids had cracked because of all the weight from the containers above. I am really trying to use up the stash. Forget about organization. It won't work for me. I can't keep them organized. But, make sure you like what you are sewing on. If you don't, put that projhect in the corner and start something new. Have fun!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:13 PM

Hi Michael, Your not alone. I'm beginning to think I am a hoarder of all crafts. Lot's of fabric and patterns galore not to mention the tubs of yarn. I found one yesterday when I was looking for a piece of batting and of course the cross stitch kits. Sometimes I get so frustrated I'd like to throw me out. I think I'm hopeless to many projects not enough time to do them all in a day. I always have a few projects going. Sue