Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011  NEW >

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Old 02-06-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
Originally Posted by quiltsru
what is the 1.4"?
Sorry, I have no idea! I'm sure I knew 50 years ago but now it is over my head!
I'm OLD and the brain cells are almost gone!
:-D
I would say slightly less than 1 1/2; does that work? This formula business is too much for me. I just pick a block, sew it and whatever ends up is what I use. I'll adjust size in the end by adding necessary borders. You guys are getting too complicated to have it be fun anymore! This is supposed to be a fun, fly by the seat of our pants thing, I thought :roll: :lol:
Old 02-06-2011, 07:43 AM

I have several charm packs that I have gathered every year when we go to the quilt show in Paducah. Hancocks always seems to have them on a deal I can't pass up. I never get around to using them though. I decided to use the charm packs to do this project so I went to the Missouri Quilt Co website to see their tutorial as someone previously showed beautiful work they had done using this simple tute. Believe me I need simple. It is only available as a video or on YouTube. I am a country girl with verrrrrry slow internet. No video for me. So I went googling for a written version and found this. Looks easy enough so I am going to do a trial run with scraps later today.

http://quiltfrenzy.blogspot.com/2010...m-2-charm.html
Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ceil
what is the 1.4"?
The 1.4 is the approximate square root of 2. (you asked) :)
In a right isosceles triangle the sides are "a", "a" and "a" times the square root of 2 (the longer side). If you draw a diagram of what your are doing this would probably be clearer as you can see that it's the diagonal that is being cut. You have to first take away the .5 as you're dealing with the smaller square once you sew the seam, so it's your size of square minus .5.
Then to find the size of the diagonal (longer side you've just created, you must multiply by 1.4 (approx. square root of 2).
Then you must subtract another .5 as you sew two of these together and make that side shorter.
This seems to work. Also this is NOT the finished size, this is the size of the block before finishing.
Someone asked about working backwards from this: What square do you have to start with to end up with a certain size. To do the math for this, take the size you want to end up with and add .5. Then divide by 1.4. Then add another .5. You must do these is this order in order for it to work. Again, this is not the finished size, so add another 1/2 inch if you want the finished size. You're also not going to get an exact friendly number each time so you may have to fudge a little. For example, if you come out to 6.8, you'll probably want to call that 6 3/4 and just know that it should be a generous 6 3/4.
I have not been quilting long, I'm just doing the math so it would be helpful if someone else would verify this before taking it as gospel. Thanks.
Thank you! If anyone else asks I will just copy and paste your answer!

All I know is that if they ALL come out the same size, what ever that size is, I won't have a problem sewing them together for my project!

Some intend to mix types of blocks and that's where the problem will happen!

Old 02-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
what is the 1.4"?
I would say slightly less than 1 1/2; does that work? This formula business is too much for me. I just pick a block, sew it and whatever ends up is what I use. I'll adjust size in the end by adding necessary borders. You guys are getting too complicated to have it be fun anymore! This is supposed to be a fun, fly by the seat of our pants thing, I thought :roll: :lol:
Works for me! :-D

There is no requirement to use the sew around the edge method.
Anyone that wants to can use any other method.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kaye-Kaye
I have several charm packs that I have gathered every year when we go to the quilt show in Paducah. Hancocks always seems to have them on a deal I can't pass up. I never get around to using them though. I decided to use the charm packs to do this project so I went to the Missouri Quilt Co website to see their tutorial as someone previously showed beautiful work they had done using this simple tute. Believe me I need simple. It is only available as a video or on YouTube. I am a country girl with verrrrrry slow internet. No video for me. So I went googling for a written version and found this. Looks easy enough so I am going to do a trial run with scraps later today.

That is a good one. Notice she squares up her block to 5.5 before sewing then together. According to the formula is would have been 5.8".
Old 02-06-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
I got out my new little BABY GO and cutting out my 5" squares.I can pick out what 2 fabrics I'm going to be using to make a Pinwheels,put them in cut them out and sew them together.
Connie in CO
That's going to make it even easier!

I have 10" blocks all ready to go but now I will want to cut them to 8" by hand! :cry:
I'll have all those wonderful edge pieces for maybe a piano border :-D
Old 02-06-2011, 07:59 AM

I can see that some of you like to sew by the seat of your pants (like me) and some want to be really precise and do the math and that is ok, too. But to keep it fun unless you must really have a precision quilt, I just say pick a size (I like 5 inches) and cut a block and then do the half square triangle thing with drawing the line down the middle from one corner to opposite corner; sewing a quarter inch on both sides of the line; cutting on the line and ironing and you have two parts of your block done. You can pick any size to start with and as long as you cut them all the same, it will be just fine. Let's keep this fun but thanks to you all who are trying to help. Now I am going to check out that tut about sewing around the edges. Never tried it before. :-) 5 minutes later...

Gollyeee!!! Now this is a cool idea too and would be a great idea for giving you 4 squares instead of HST way where you get only two. I will continue with the way I startd on my top tho since I want the size to be the same. I just learn so much on this board! Thanks everyone!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:36 AM

Ok I have been playing. What do you think about these colors? Are they to busy? And I know you are suppose to iron to the dark. But I still have problems with the seams. Can anyone tell me a trick?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-95340.jpe  
Old 02-06-2011, 09:44 AM

I'm doing the sew around method, but it seems i always have one point that isn't as pointed as the rest in the block what am i doing wrong.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 AM

Got my fabric today. All of it execpt for the black I need. I know what I am looking for, but can't find it. So I will do the rest till than.