Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas Project a Month for 2011 >

Christmas Project a Month for 2011

Christmas Project a Month for 2011

Old 01-12-2011, 05:29 PM

MISHNJIM, I really like your Christmas quilt. If you pm me I will give you my name to put on it. lol
Old 01-13-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
I've been going through my stuff trying to get organized (LOL) and I have all this Christmas fabric, panels, etc. Seems if I wait until closer to Christmas it never gets done because of all the other Christmas commitments so . . . I'm thinking of doing a Christmas project/block (not necessarily a gift for anyone, just busting the Christmas fabric) a month and wondering if anyone cares to join in. Falalalala.
I do it every month on the 24-25th. It is easy to remember that way. I'm in. Will we have show and tell on the 31st?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 PM

Just a reminder, the 24th is coming soon. Please post your pictures on the Christmas Project a Month picture thread. I just have to sew the binding on the back of a tablerunner. Yeah me!!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 PM

If you haven't decided on a project, or are having a hard time getting into the spirit here are a few suggestions:

Take some time and print all the address labels you will need for your cards. Put them at the top of the Christmas box so you can find them around Thanksgiving...Be the first to send your cards out.

Go to the store and buy enough Life-Saver candy rolls for each stocking you get to help fill. While you are there, pick up a new tooth brush for each person too. If you still have a little money, buy some of those mini-bottles of hand lotion, secret or Old Spice, small toothpaste tubes, etc. These are great little add ins or stocking stuffers for students, office workers, or people who travel a lot.

Stop by the craft store and buy some red and green ribbon and paper twist. Get rolls of tape, generic ornaments and even brown paper on the roll. put the ribbon and stuff away. Get out those potatoes, your almost too old tubes and bottles of paint, stamp pads and old stamps you have, and even left over stickers. Have your kids make home made wrapping paper in the hallway. Roll the paper back up when it is dry. This will look really cute with the paper twist and ribbon bows come Christmas. Grandparents love this stuff. (Honestly, I usually do this activity a couple of times but in the summer when we can paint on the driveway. It is okay for them to make Christmas paper by painting red, green, gold and white foot and hand prints on the paper. The second time we do it, I use tissue paper and white or brown paper gift bags. This can occupy my 10 kids for a whole afternoon.)

Mix up your favorite cookie dough. Wrap it in plastic or put it in a sealed container. Keep it in the freezer. You are now ready for guests. If you are really industrious, make the cookie balls and place on cookie sheets to freeze. Now you don't have any excuse for not making Christmas Cookies.

OR, actually cook the cookies while your kids are not home. Fill up sealed containers with all but a dozen. Keep them in the freezer and you have the perfect after school snack too.

I always like to play some Christmas music while I work on my Christmas stuff. Gets me in the mood...hey it beats the soaps or those really silly judge shows.

Have fun next Monday and Tuesday...
Old 01-20-2011, 02:59 AM

Great ideas.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mrspete
I am totally out of Christmas fabric. I made more dittie bags for troops than I counted. And I had a blast! I need to shop for some this year. It would be fun though.

Happy New Year
Miss Pete, what is a Dittie Bag?
Old 01-22-2011, 02:23 PM

You don't always need to do a sewing/craft project. Look at my post above. There are many ways to get ready for Christmas that don't involve fabric. Join in the fun. You will be amazed at how much you get done. Gwyn

PS. There are Christmas fabrics and projects for sale on ebay, mary maxim and herschners.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:28 PM

You are so right. I had to stop doing new things and get rid of some of those scraps. So I started making quilted shopping bags. some of my neighbors can't afford to buy quilts but they will be able to buy quilted shopping bags.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 AM

Alrighty then. It's the 24th of the month. I have my project (tablerunner) finished. I am going to try to post a picture of it on the thread for Christmas project of the month thread under pictures. I might have to wake up my kid to help! LOL. See you there with your pictures. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:10 PM

no picture yet - but i did get a rag quilt made for my nephew for christmas next year! it's small but since he was just born this past December it will be big enough for him for a couple of years!