Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-10-2021, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Terry, I think I know which one you are talking about. That's the one I'm using as well.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
That would seem to indicate that the point accounts for 1/8." I wouldn't worry about it; as long as you have the right size HST and the right size wing, you're bound to come out ok.
Points on half square triangles of every size with a quarter inch seam allowance should account for 3/8”. If you have the die for the finished size of the HST we are making (finished size equals measurement BH gave minus 7/8”), you can cut a template with paper to use to test your measurement.
Attached Thumbnails img_1342-3.jpeg  
Old 12-10-2021, 01:07 PM

Hi everyone! I forget to check in here on the Quilting Board more often than not! It finally dawned on me today, when I was squaring up Week 2 Clues that I needed to see if someone had started this thread!

This will be my 12th Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt. I have completed seven, but still have four in flimsy stage. I quilt them all myself, so it takes a while.

I had a lot of the fabrics needed for this mystery in my stash, just bought a few and the turquoise.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
Points on half square triangles of every size with a quarter inch seam allowance should account for 3/8”. If you have the die for the finished size of the HST we are making (finished size equals measurement BH gave minus 7/8”), you can cut a template with paper to use to test your measurement.
Quoting my own post now that I have completed some on the Clue 3 units to make a correction to my prior post.

The Accuquilt dog ears look like they cut off 1/2” from each side, so the double dog eared units measure 1” less than the measurement given in the clue by BH with no dog ears.
Attached Thumbnails img_1343.jpeg  
Old 12-10-2021, 03:27 PM

I’m really liking everyone’s fabric choices. Mine is going to be fairly weird as I am using stash fabrics only. I do not have a lot of pink. I was able to use some HSTs that I didn’t use when making Frolic so that feels good even if the colours are whacked. Like some others my neutrals are white on white. Most of them read solid so they may be too stark but I think it will be ok. My dog sleeps under all my quilts and she said the colours were fine when I ran them by her.

Dont forget to cut your neutral squares this week. I didn’t see that step the first three times I read this week’s clue.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:59 PM

I like all the info and colors. I’m 1/2 way done sewing my part one. I pulled my fabrics to cut my FG for part 2. I completed a practice block and was able to do 4 at a time with 2 of each each time. And I pulled my fabric for my square cuts and triangles. I plan to do part 1 & 3 at the same time. It’s faster for me. Oh well back to my sewing.
Old 12-11-2021, 07:46 AM

Loving how fast this 3rd clue went from the 2nd one. I'm finished this morning and I'm not a speed demon sewing. I wanted to pass on a hint that works for me. When finishing units like that don't have a total outside measurement. I don't press or trim until the reveal. That way, if I have sewn too scant or too large a seam, it's easy to rip out and adjust. Just in case.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Toverly- great hint. Thanks for sharing with us.
happylab- glad you're with us!
Old 12-11-2021, 09:26 AM

Clue 3. This was an easy one. Now I have no excuse to delay cleaning the house!
Attached Thumbnails rt-clue-3.jpg  
Old 12-11-2021, 09:47 AM

Good to see you, JeanieG! I wonder if you are the BH veteran with the most mysteries under your belt. I started with Grand Illusion, which I think would make this my eighth.