Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Clash between my two favorite things! >

Clash between my two favorite things!

Clash between my two favorite things!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:58 AM

I have a pair a gloves that I cut the fingertips out of. That way I still have some protection from the dirt and mud, but still can use my fingers.

They look dorky, but it seems to keep my hands a bit softer.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
Right now i am enjoying spring and getting my garden started. Feels wonderful playing in the dirt! We just picked the last of last year's cabbage today. My only problem is my hands. Gardening makes them so dry and scratchy. I hate wearing gloves too. Then I come inside and try to touch fabric (after I've washed of course ;-) ) and they are so icky! They catch the fabric and it just feels terrible. So any other gardeners out there what lotion do you like? I just don't think I can stand to wear gloves while I play...plus I have tried several times and always end up loosing them after a few times.
I hate Gloves TOO! But find If I buy the Boxes of medical supply ones (blue) not so bad and I just keep them in my pocket and change as they rip. We have a glove maker supply here so I get them cheap $5 per box.
8-)
Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 AM

LOVE Aquaphor!! Also there used to be something in a tube called Vaseline Creamy, not sure if it still is out there.

I do some product testing and they sent me a wonderful hand/body lotion but of course I don't know the name of it as it was a blind test. Wish I could find it out, I would buy some.

Gold Bond makes a good one in a tube also.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:53 AM

I too can't stand gloves, and I LOVE the feel of touching warm dirt! Lots of good tips on here, some I already do. I use the vasoline and either salt or sugar scrubs on my hands and feet( I am also a barefoot girl lol) It really does keep my hands and feet nice. I do like the sounds of olive oil and will try this next time. I also only use Natural soap. this has done wonders for my entire integumentary (skin) system ! I no longer have to lotion my whole body due to horrlbly dry skin . I can't beleive the diffrence natural soap does in keeping the natural protective oils in your skin. We are bombarded by chemicals now days, I figured a few years ago I don't need to rub chemicals on my skin too lol

PS
And thanks to a certian board member on here I have traded for a new supply of natural soap that I LOVE!!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:10 PM

I make doors at a factory. So no matter how much lotion I put on, within no time my hands are dry again. I keep bottles of lotion at work and apply all the time. Pumice stones work when your showering to take off dead skin too.
This isn't natural but works unbelievable. I had a friend give me a bottle...she said it's a little pricey, but a little goes a long way. It is called herbal serenity-show of hands. It says beauticontrol on it too. You rub a little around in your hands and it has a grainy texture and it takes off the dead skin.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:24 PM

I went through a bunch of lotions when I first moved here. Central heat really dries out my skin and eyes. Didn't have it in GA. Anyway, For my skin I finally picked up a big jar of Palmers cocoa butter. Seems to be helping better than anything else.
my grandfather use to use Corn huskers too. I had forgotten about that stuff.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 PM

I use vinyl general use gloves, or medical latex glove. I buy them by the box. There are 50 in a box.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by redturtle
1 cup sugar to 1/4 cup olive oil...scrub/rub your hands for 5 min(put in fridge to preserve until next time)
How am I gonna get the refrigerator door open again if I've preserved my hands in there for "next time"? Inquiring minds need to know! Not only that, I hate it when my hands are cold, makes me cold all over, doesn't it you? :lol:

Jan in VA
You are too funny!! :lol:
Old 03-15-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Qbee
OK...this may sound gross but while I love to get my hands dirty, I hate dirt under my nails and like you don't like gloves. So...I scrape my nails along a bar of Dove extra moisture soap and then put a bunch of icky lotion on my hands and under nails. When you wash your hands after gardening, the soap under the nails and lotion makes the dirt slide off and it seems that they are less dry. It especially works on the dirt under the nails issue :D
I will try the soap under the nails trick!(If I remember it)That's what I hate most when I dont wear gloves...nasty fingernails! I try to remember to wear gloves, but I often wear out the fingertips on the right hand. :thumbup:
Old 03-16-2011, 05:27 AM

Awwww, Jan you stole my thunder. The part about "put in frigde to store for next time" caught my eye too. My husband tells me I am bit weird. If we think alike, I don't know about you, but I would be worried.

I use hand lotion, any brand will do, add a teaspoon or so of sugar and scrub my hands well. Rinse with warm water and apply a heavy cream or lotion to my hands. I am a spinner and often work with angora wool and this prevents the wool from sticking to my rough hands.