Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet >

Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet

Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet

Old 04-22-2011, 02:00 PM

I love the carpet in my sewing room.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:35 AM
Vat

I would have the carpet taken out and replace it with either hardwood (which in time will have to be refinished), ceramic tile (which is a little cool to the feet, and is what I have and love),linoleum tile, or cork tile/hardwood (which is you can buy that looks like hardwood or tile) it is wonderful. I have had carpet and it just does not work for a studio/sewing room.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:46 AM

I have a carpeted sewing room and work barefoot most of the time and have never had a tragedy or an OOPS....even when one of the cats knocked a giant bowl of pins off the table onto the carpet. Magnets work wonders and I only use quilting pins with big yellow heads. Point being, if you want the carpet there----you can have it. Just be careful!
Old 04-23-2011, 03:57 AM

I also use nothing but the yellow flower head pins so no problem in seeing them on the floor. I'm careful with the needles and 'find' them when I've accidentally dropped one on the carpeting. I like the cozy, warmth of having carpeting in my sewing room. I tiled a room I expected to use as my sewing room and I never liked the cold, unfriendly feel. So a carpeted room across the hall became my sewing studio. Now use the tiled room as a guest bedroom with area rugs and still don't like the hard/cold look and feel. It's best to have your own choice of flooring no matter what anyone says. Cleaning is cleaning but nicer to do when you like what's underfoot.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:46 AM

Would be cheaper and easier to replace all of your pins with some with bright colored heads so that they don't disappear in the carpet. I use a telescoping magnate that I "borrowed" from my husband's workshop for when I drop pins.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:07 AM

I love my carpet in my sewing room also and have never had a problem with seeing pins that might have fallen. I have pets and there has been no problem there either. I do use the chair mats for my sewing areas which might be the reason they don't ever get into the carpet.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
I use a telescoping magnate that I "borrowed" from my husband's workshop for when I drop pins.
I was trying to think of what those were called. I'll have to check out Harbor Freight, cause I think I got one there once upon a time.

Found one, 2.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch...net-37187.html
Old 04-23-2011, 05:11 AM

You can find really reasonably priced laminate and hardwood at Lumber Liquidators, we got our laminate for $.59 a square foot.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:22 AM

By the time you feel the need to reorganize your room, maybe you can put down new flooring. I have carpeting in my sewing room and have had no problems with pins, needles, or such. I have a thread catcher I made that gets all the thread snippets and magnetic pin holders. Good luck and enjoy. Wearing rubber soled shoes is just another precaution too.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:36 AM

I have carpet and don't find it to be a problem. I have the plastic mat for under my sewing chair so i can slide around easiy. I like to use the large pins with flower heads. If I'm using small pins or a needle I usually know when I drop it. I have a paddle that is a magnet. I just run it over the sofa or floor when I'm sitting and it usually finds them.