Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt in a travel trailer? >

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:07 PM

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I think I will cut some simple blocks out and be ready to go. Then along the way I can buy some jelly rolls and some charm packs. There are a couple of simple quilts that I wanted to do with them. I probably do not need a lot of stuff to do, but a little something will be great. Will try to post pics when the time comes and maybe show my set up and so forth. Beth
Old 04-23-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
I know that there are people out there in this wonderful forum that live, or spend a majority of there time in traveling in a travel trailer, motor home, etc. I posted this question the other day to one of the ladies that was talking about her stash, then it dawned on me to just ask the entire board. Anyway, we are moving this summer from New Jersey back to Texas. To save money for gas we are planning on moving out of our home a month early and will probably live in our brand new 5th wheel for close to 3 months. We will have our 3 teenagers, 3 animals and myself and my husband. So how do you ladies do it? Where do you store your stuff? where do you sew? What do you take with you? I hate the thought that I am going to have all this time and nothing to sew. I know I could do hand stuff and will probably do some but that gets tiresome to me. I am also thinking of making some kits? Anyway you guys have such great ideas I can't wait to hear them. :)
guiltingfan
Where in Texas are you all heading to?
Old 04-24-2011, 03:18 AM

We have a 32' MH & like to travel with our 4 cats. It's just us and the cats (no kids). I cannot leave home without sewing projects. What worked for me is taking my projects precut and ready to sew. It's amazing how fast you can get them sewn together. I also have the revisble cutting/ironing mat and a good Black & Decker travel iron and Ott lights. I sew on the dinning room table. We like to be gone for about six weeks at a time and we usually stay in one place no longer than 4 days depending upon what is there to see or do. The first trip was out West and I took my Bernina 730 which was stored in the shower along with my fabrics, etc while we traveled-----until my husband forgot to empty the gray water tank and it backed up into the shower. Luckily my 730 was sitting next to the bed and no damage was done. After that I started taking my featherweight which I could easily store under the dining room table. My 730 stays safe at home. The shower is normally great storage space when you are on the move. You will probably have more living space in your trailer than a MH. Have fun.
Sherry
Old 04-24-2011, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
3 months in a trailer with three teenagers, hubby and animals...they would have to commit me...Good luck with that...
Thanks for the laugh. I needed it this morning. My thoughts exactly.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:13 AM

Ok, I have done this, but not with three teenagers! We bought a 33 foot 5th wheel with triple slides and took off for about a year with my husband's work. I put my fabric in sweater bags with zippers. While we were packing, my husband came in and told me I had fabric in every nook and cranny and I couldn't put any more in there, so then I put the rest in the trunk of my car. A few days later my son asked me why my car was leaning! LOL I had to redistribute my fabric.

I said all that to say...........You probably wouldn't be able to complete too many projects in the three month. Think about a few projects you might want to complete or start and get everything you need together for each one. You also might want to consider doing QAYG method to keep bulk down.

Hope this helps. Happy traveling.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:34 AM

Normally, we camp in our van, but use a tent when we plan to stay for a week or more. However, with a pending knee replacement, and advancing age, my DH has decided that a small camper trailer may be in order. So began the search just this week. As we entered each unit, I calculated all of the things I would need to be comfortable, where I could store/stash, cut and sew. Most of this was in my mind. At one point I noticed a void and commented, "Oh, that would be a perfect place to put the treadle machine so I could quilt without using the generator."

If I could have gotten a face shot of the sales rep - PRICELESS!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:42 AM

I love the way a determined woman can manage any situation. I quilt in my motorhome, & with these tips, will organize myself differently this year when we travel. We are typically gone anywhere from 1 month to 3. I love the idea of making up pre cut kits. There are some plastic boxes at JoAnn's that are about 14" square & 3 inches deep with carry handles. I like these to put finished blocks in, so I don't have to iron once I start putting things together. A plastic, flannel lined tablecloth laid on a bed is a great design wall. You can roll the table cloth up with your project in it for storage or traveling.

Have fun! This would probably be the best time in your life to learn needle turn applique. Takes up the least space of any project. lol
Old 04-24-2011, 04:51 AM

I spend 6 months in a 27 foot travel trailer. I am not far from my home, but I do the bulk of my sewing, knitting, stitching at the park. Since DH is a farmer and a volunteer firefighter, he doesn't want to be far from home. I love camping. So our compromise is putting a trailer at the local conservation authority park and we come and go.
I put my sewing machine under the bench seat, along with my travel iron and Ott light. My "tools" are in a caddy stored there as well. I cut out at home usually and kit up my projects.
I figure I can sew all summer and then quilt things up when I "move" back home for the winter.
I also sew garments, and cut them up at home as well. Then I just need one of those smaller reversible cuttingboard/pressing pads.
On nice days, I put a little table out on the deck and sew there....Get a lot of funny looks, but I don't much care.
Also take my laptop to play with EQ7 and my machine embroidery programme. It's not sewing, but it's related:)
Good luck and do have fun with your travels.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I think I will cut some simple blocks out and be ready to go. Then along the way I can buy some jelly rolls and some charm packs. There are a couple of simple quilts that I wanted to do with them. I probably do not need a lot of stuff to do, but a little something will be great. Will try to post pics when the time comes and maybe show my set up and so forth. Beth
Yes, I would love to see pictures. My DH and I retired 3yrs ago and we see a travel trailer in our future. Thanks for posting this question. Lisa
Old 04-24-2011, 04:59 AM

my husband and I are planning on retiring to our little 8 X 22 foot travel trailer for 6 months every year. Storage will be above the bed and my machine will be under the kitchen table. I'll figure the rest out later.