Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • It Never Fails >
  • It Never Fails

• It Never Fails

Old 05-03-2011, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
    I guess I'm lucky, my surgial menopause didn't alter my elephant size bladder.... ( I have to remind my self to go... other wise it would be twice a day trip... I know I know.. thats bad... just always been that way...)
    wish I had a bladder that size...
    Old 05-03-2011, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
    I finished a quilt top on Saturday and thought today would be the perfect day to pin baste it for quilting. It's larger than a queen but slightly smaller than a traditional king so I spread the backing out on my kitchen floor and set about the task of taping it down.

Of course, that means that once I got myself down to the floor, the phone rang. It also means that I've had to stand back up 3 or 4 times because my menopausal bladder decided that today it couldn't hold more than evaporation...soooo, that pot of coffee I drank this morning, thinking I would need it to accomplish this task, has made me leave the task more than I would like to. And that is killing my aching, arthritic joints.

The saddest part of all of this?? I'm only 28!!!!! I had surgery that brought about the menopause and the menopause brought about the arthritis.
    just wait until you are 54....I feel exactly like you now!...But just keep on stitchin...it might keep you sane...might not!!!! LOL!!!
    Old 05-03-2011, 04:16 AM

I asked at our church if I could use several of their tables in the gathering area when it isn't being used for some quilting and they said yes. I used 2 of the long rectangle tables pushed together and it was so much easier. Maybe your church or a park district has tables like that you can use. My knees and my back can't do the floor anymore.
    Old 05-03-2011, 05:29 AM

Oh my. I can relate. I only have 1 kidney and pee every 10 minutes. Plus I have degenerative disc disease so getting up and down is very painful. Plus I have arthritis in my knees and hands so sewing is painful. With all this, I still manage to make quilts. I won't stop until I'm in my grave. I hope can quilt in heaven! But I'm 65 not 28. It's to be expected at my age. Just keep moving so your joints don't seize up! Keep on quiltin'.
    Old 05-03-2011, 05:32 AM

omg....I think you are telling my story.....it's funny to tell, but not to live.....If you figure it out the bladder thing, you let me know! :lol:
    Old 05-03-2011, 05:36 AM
    Power Poster

Aww...my least favorite part! I really feel for you. You need to find another way to do it...spray baste, Sharon's method..something- even if its taking it to a LA'er to baste for you!
    Old 05-03-2011, 05:36 AM

I hear you! I basted a queen Drunkard's Path yesterday and today I feel like I've been to the gym!
    I had to do it at my daughter's and to be nice she bought a specific brand of coffee for me, so how could I turn a few cups down?
    I hate, hate, hate basting!
    Old 05-03-2011, 05:39 AM
    Power Poster

Oh my, i know how you feel. i had to start basting my qlts on a folding table. now i usually use fusible batting. still do that on a table or if smaller quilts, i do them on the ironing board.
    Old 05-03-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by sumcoop
    Originally Posted by bluteddi
    I guess I'm lucky, my surgial menopause didn't alter my elephant size bladder.... ( I have to remind my self to go... other wise it would be twice a day trip... I know I know.. thats bad... just always been that way...)
    wish I had a bladder that size...

This is why I carry the phone with me everywhere. Call me and you might hear some flushing in the background!
    Old 05-03-2011, 05:41 AM

I'm so sorry to hear your problems - and you are sooo young. A lot of us can relate to the up-and-down problems AND the bladder problems. Take some of the advice on here and use tables at a church or meeting place. Makes a lot of difference. Hugs{}{}{}